dtonhofer

dtonhofer

Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition: Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition: JUnit code improvements for Chapter 11, pages 193 ff “Refactoring Data Grouping Operations”

As usual, but the original code to be refactored was just too evil and had to be fixed.

package chapter11;

import org.junit.jupiter.api.Test;

import java.util.HashMap;
import java.util.HashSet;
import java.util.Map;
import java.util.Set;

import static java.util.stream.Collectors.groupingBy;
import static java.util.stream.Collectors.toSet;
import static org.junit.jupiter.api.Assertions.assertAll;
import static org.junit.jupiter.api.Assertions.assertEquals;

public class DataGroupingOperationsTest {

    interface Scores {

        Map<Integer, Set<String>> namesForScores(final Map<String, Integer> scores);

    }

    public static class ScoresBefore implements Scores {

        public Map<Integer, Set<String>> namesForScores(final Map<String, Integer> scores) {
            final Map<Integer, Set<String>> result = new HashMap<>();
            for (Map.Entry<String, Integer> entry : scores.entrySet()) {
                final String name = entry.getKey();
                final Integer score = entry.getValue();
                if (!result.containsKey(score)) {
                    result.put(score, new HashSet<>());
                }
                result.get(score).add(name);
            }
            return result;
        }
    }

    public static class ScoresAfter implements Scores {

        public Map<Integer, Set<String>> namesForScores(final Map<String, Integer> scores) {
            return scores.keySet().stream()
                    .collect(groupingBy(scores::get, toSet()));
        }
    }

    private static void commonNamesForScoresTests(final Scores scores) {
        assertAll(
                () -> assertEquals(Map.of(), scores.namesForScores(Map.of())),
                () -> assertEquals(
                        Map.of(1, Set.of("Jill")), scores.namesForScores(Map.of("Jill", 1))),
                () -> assertEquals(
                        Map.of(1, Set.of("Jill"), 2, Set.of("Paul")),
                        scores.namesForScores(Map.of("Jill", 1, "Paul", 2))),
                () -> assertEquals(
                        Map.of(1, Set.of("Jill", "Kate"), 2, Set.of("Paul")),
                        scores.namesForScores(Map.of("Jill", 1, "Paul", 2, "Kate", 1)))
        );
    }

    @Test
    void scoresBefore() {
        commonNamesForScoresTests(new ScoresBefore());
    }

    @Test
    void scoresAfter() {
        commonNamesForScoresTests(new ScoresAfter());
    }
}

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
joepstender
The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67) iex&gt; product = %Product{} %Pento....
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New
roadbike
From page 13: On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio ...
New
dachristenson
I’ve got to the end of Ch. 11, and the app runs, with all tabs displaying what they should – at first. After switching around between St...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Latest in Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition

Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition Portal ❯

Sub Categories: