dtonhofer

dtonhofer

Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition: Chapter 9, p.164 addendum to "parallel stream"

In Chapter 9, p.164 the stream is parallelized in 1 step.

This inspired my to write some test some code to call a task “in parallel”:

  • Not in parallel, inside a loop
  • Using ThreadGroups (essentially ‘temporary worker pools’) to run “slices” of the list the tasks in parallel
  • Using a Java 8 ForkJoinPool
  • Using a Java 8 parallel stream.

Not sure whether this is of interest, the most interesting part is the handling of checked and unchecked exceptions.

package chapter9;

import org.junit.jupiter.api.Test;

import java.util.Collections;
import java.util.LinkedList;
import java.util.List;
import java.util.concurrent.*;
import java.util.stream.Collectors;
import java.util.stream.IntStream;

public class RunningInParallel {

    // This could also implement Runnable instead.

    public static class DoSomething {

        private final int index;

        public DoSomething(int index) {
            this.index = index;
        }

        // This method should not throw any checked exceptions

        public void doSomething() {
            try {
                // Math.random is synchronized, so we can use it here
                final long sleep_ms = (long) (Math.random() * 1000.0);
                System.out.println("Thread " + index + " starts on thread '" + Thread.currentThread().getName() + "', sleeping for " + sleep_ms + " ms");
                Thread.sleep(sleep_ms);
            } catch (InterruptedException ex) {
                // Someone told us to stop sleeping, so we do!
                // Set the "interrupted" bit again and get out.
                Thread.currentThread().interrupt();
            }
        }

    }

    private List<DoSomething> createElements() {
        return IntStream.rangeClosed(1, 20)
                .mapToObj(DoSomething::new)
                .collect(Collectors.toList());
    }

    private static ThreadGroup startThreads(final int sliceStart, final int sliceEndIncl, final List<DoSomething> elements) {
        final int slizeSize = sliceEndIncl - sliceStart + 1;
        ThreadGroup tGroup = new ThreadGroup("slice [" + sliceStart + "," + sliceEndIncl + "] of size " + slizeSize);
        for (int threadIndex = 0; threadIndex < slizeSize; threadIndex++) {
            final int elementIndex = sliceStart + threadIndex;
            // no need to retain reference to the Thread, we will get it back from the ThreadGroup
            new Thread(tGroup, new Runnable() {
                @Override
                public void run() {
                    // If doSomething() threw a checked exception, we would have to catch it here
                    // If doSomething() throws a RuntimeException, the Exception is left up the stack here,
                    // terminating the worker thread.
                    elements.get(elementIndex).doSomething();
                }
            }).start();
        }
        return tGroup;
    }

    private static void waitForThreadEnd(final ThreadGroup tGroup, final int slizeSize) throws InterruptedException {
        final Thread[] threads = new Thread[slizeSize];
        final int count = tGroup.enumerate(threads);
        assert count <= slizeSize; // some threads may already have finished
        for (int i = 0; i < count; i++) {
            try {
                // Dangerous, as infinite waiting may follow, there should be a timeout value!!
                System.out.println("Joining thread " + (i + 1) + " of " + count);
                threads[i].join();
            } catch (InterruptedException ex) {
                // What should we do here? Just set the interrupt flag and throw...
                Thread.currentThread().interrupt();
                throw ex;
            }
        }
    }

    @Test
    void preJava8_singleThread() {
        final List<DoSomething> elements = Collections.unmodifiableList(createElements());
        for (DoSomething elem : elements) {
            // If doSomething() threw a checked exception, we would have to catch it here.
            // If doSomething() throws a RuntimeException, the Exception is left up the stack here.
            elem.doSomething();
        }
        System.out.println("DONE!");
    }

    @Test
    void preJava8_rollYourOwnMultipleThreads() throws InterruptedException {
        final List<DoSomething> elements = Collections.unmodifiableList(createElements());
        final int threadCount = 7;
        // Iterate over "slices" of "threadCount" threads.
        int sliceIndex = 0;
        while (sliceIndex * threadCount < elements.size()) {
            final int sliceStart = sliceIndex * threadCount;
            final int sliceEndIncl = Math.min(sliceStart + threadCount - 1, elements.size() - 1);
            final int slizeSize = sliceEndIncl - sliceStart + 1;
            ThreadGroup tGroup = startThreads(sliceStart, sliceEndIncl, elements);
            waitForThreadEnd(tGroup, slizeSize);
            System.out.println("Done with ThreadGroup '" + tGroup.getName() + "' running " + slizeSize + " threads");
            sliceIndex++;
        }
        System.out.println("DONE!");
    }

    @Test
    void java8_multipleThreadsWithForkJoinPool() throws InterruptedException {
        final List<DoSomething> elements = Collections.unmodifiableList(createElements());
        final List<ForkJoinTask<?>> tasks = new LinkedList<>();
        for (DoSomething elem : elements) {
            // If doSomething() threw a checked exception, we COULD NOT use it as argument to submit()
            // We would need to wrap doSomething().
            // Note that we use the "common pool" provided by the runtime environment.
            // We could also create our own pool instead, but why bother?
            // Note that some of the tasks will actaully be run by the main thread instead
            // of by a thread from the pool.
            tasks.add(ForkJoinPool.commonPool().submit(elem::doSomething));
        }
        for (ForkJoinTask<?> task : tasks) {
            try {
                task.get();
            } catch (ExecutionException ex) {
                // If doSomething() throws a RuntimeException it will be rethrown as an ExecutionException.
                // The thrown RuntimeException will appear as the "cause".
                System.err.println("Task failed to finish properly, got ExecutionException: '" + ex.getMessage()
                        + "' caused by: '" + ex.getCause() + "'");
            } catch (CancellationException ex) {
                System.err.println("Task was cancelled, hot CancellationException: " + ex.getMessage());
            } catch (InterruptedException ex) {
                // What should we do here? Just set the interrupt flag and throw.
                // Note the ,ethod "doSomething()" does not actually throw it.
                Thread.currentThread().interrupt();
                throw ex;
            }
        }
        System.out.println("DONE!");
    }

    @Test
    void java8_multipleThreadsWithStream() throws InterruptedException {
        final List<DoSomething> elements = Collections.unmodifiableList(createElements());
        // If doSomething() threw a checked exception (a subclass of Exception),
        // we COULD NOT use it as argument to forEach().
        // If doSomething() throws a RuntimeException, the stream pipeline would terminate
        // arbitrarily with any of the exceptions thrown in any of the threads.
        elements.stream().parallel().forEach(DoSomething::doSomething);
        System.out.println("DONE!");
    }
}

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
dsmith42
Hey there, I’m enjoying this book and have learned a few things alredayd. However, in Chapter 4 I believe we are meant to see the “&gt;...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New

Latest in Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition

Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition Portal ❯

Sub Categories: