dtonhofer

dtonhofer

Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition: Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition: JUnit code improvements for Chapter 11, pages 189 ff “Refactoring to Rework the Logic”

The usual changes but:

  • The “FirstRepeatedLetter.findIn()” has been improved out of the box. In particular returning ‘\0’ is too C-like and smells like “primitive obsession”. We have null, we should use it. What if the input contains \0 as the matching character?
  • A slightly better code (IMHO) is in FirstRepeatedLetterBetter.findIn()
  • The final refactored code returns not null, but Optional<Character>, which is cleaner.
  • Again, for testing we use a common interface or a wrapper class to avoid having to duplicate testing code.
package chapter11;

import org.junit.jupiter.api.Test;

import java.util.Optional;
import java.util.stream.Stream;

import static org.junit.jupiter.api.Assertions.*;

public class ReworkTheLogicTest {

    interface FindLetter {

        Character findIn(String word);

    }

    static class FirstRepeatedLetterBefore implements FindLetter {

        public Character findIn(final String word) {
            final char[] letters = word.toCharArray();
            for (char candidate : letters) {
                int count = 0;
                for (char letter : letters) {
                    if (candidate == letter) {
                        count++;
                    }
                }
                if (count > 1) {
                    return candidate;
                }
            }
            return null;
        }
    }

    static class FirstRepeatedLetterBetter implements FindLetter {

        public Character findIn(final String word) {
            char[] letters = word.toCharArray();
            int i = 0;
            Character found = null;
            while (i < letters.length && found == null) {
                // will letter[i] been seen again?
                char maybe = letters[i];
                int j = i + 1;
                while (j < letters.length && letters[j] != maybe) j++;
                if (j < letters.length) {
                    found = maybe;
                } else {
                    i++;
                }
            }
            return found;
        }
    }

    // Does NOT implement "FindLetter", returns Optional<Character>

    static class FirstRepeatedLetterAfter {

        public Optional<Character> findIn(final String word) {
            return Stream.of(word.split(""))
                    .filter(letter -> word.lastIndexOf(letter) > word.indexOf(letter))
                    .findFirst()
                    .map(letter -> letter.charAt(0));
        }
    }

    static class FirstRepeatedLetterAfterWrapped implements FindLetter {

        private final FirstRepeatedLetterAfter finder;

        public FirstRepeatedLetterAfterWrapped(FirstRepeatedLetterAfter finder) {
            this.finder = finder;
        }

        public Character findIn(final String word) {
            return finder.findIn(word).orElse(null);
        }
    }

    private static void commonFindFirstRepeatingTests(final FindLetter finder) {
        assertAll(
                () -> assertEquals('l', finder.findIn("hello")),
                () -> assertEquals('h', finder.findIn("hellothere")),
                () -> assertEquals('a', finder.findIn("magicalguru")),
                () -> assertEquals('z', finder.findIn("abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzz")),
                () -> assertNull(finder.findIn("once")),
                () -> assertNull(finder.findIn(""))
        );
    }

    @Test
    void findFirstRepeatingBefore() {
        commonFindFirstRepeatingTests(new FirstRepeatedLetterBefore());
    }

    @Test
    void findFirstRepeatingBetter() {
        commonFindFirstRepeatingTests(new FirstRepeatedLetterBetter());
    }

    @Test
    void findFirstRepeatingAfter() {
        commonFindFirstRepeatingTests(new FirstRepeatedLetterAfterWrapped(new FirstRepeatedLetterAfter()));
    }

}

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New

Latest in Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition

Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition Portal ❯

Sub Categories: