dtonhofer

dtonhofer

Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition: Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition: JUnit code improvements for Chapter 11, pages 184 ff “Refactoring More Complex loops”

The same remarks apply as for “Refactoring the Traditional for Loop”

  • No init()
  • Classes under test implement a common interface that is called in tests.
  • Negative tests which apply for input less than 1900, resulting in exceptions.
package chapter11;

import org.junit.jupiter.api.Test;

import java.time.Year;
import java.util.stream.IntStream;

import static org.junit.jupiter.api.Assertions.*;

// Everything is inside the MoreComplexLoopTest class for convenience.
// Documentation for java.time.Year.isLeap()
// https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/time/Year.html#isLeap--

public class MoreComplexLoopTest {

    interface LeapYears {

        int countFrom1900(int upTo);

    }

    static class LeapYearCountBefore implements LeapYears {

        public int countFrom1900(int upTo) {
            if (upTo < 1900) {
                throw new IllegalArgumentException("The passed value is < 1900: " + upTo);
            }
            int count = 0;
            for (int year = 1900; year <= upTo; year += 4) {
                if (Year.isLeap(year)) {
                    count++;
                }
            }
            return count;
        }

    }

    static class LeapYearCountAfter implements LeapYears {

        public int countFrom1900(int upTo) {
            if (upTo < 1900) {
                throw new IllegalArgumentException("The passed value is < 1900: " + upTo);
            }
            return (int) IntStream.iterate(1900, year -> year <= upTo, year -> year + 4)
                    .filter(Year::isLeap)
                    .count();
        }

    }

    private static void commonLeapYearsTests(final LeapYears leapYears) {
        assertAll(
                () -> assertEquals(0, leapYears.countFrom1900(1900)),
                () -> assertEquals(25, leapYears.countFrom1900(2000)),
                () -> assertEquals(27, leapYears.countFrom1900(2010)),
                () -> assertEquals(31, leapYears.countFrom1900(2025)),
                () -> assertEquals(49, leapYears.countFrom1900(2100)),
                () -> assertEquals(267, leapYears.countFrom1900(3000)),
                () -> assertThrows(IllegalArgumentException.class, () -> leapYears.countFrom1900(1800))
        );
    }

    @Test
    void leapYearCountBefore() {
        commonLeapYearsTests(new LeapYearCountBefore());
    }

    @Test
    void leapYearCountAfter() {
        commonLeapYearsTests(new LeapYearCountAfter());
    }

}

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
brianokken
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
Henrai
Hi, I’m working on the Chapter 8 of the book. After I add add the point_offset, I’m still able to see acne: In the image above, I re...
New
SlowburnAZ
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter: could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New

Latest in Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition

Functional Programming in Java, Second Edition Portal ❯

Sub Categories: