Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fresh new 1.7 Phoenix app inside umbrella fails build

Background

I have a fresh umbrella app and I am trying to create a Phoenix app inside it. However, even though I can create the Phoenix app inside the umbrella, I cannot build it successfully.

Problem

I am creating a phoenix app inside a fresh umbrella project like this:

  1. mix new test_app --umbrella
  2. cd apps
  3. mix phx.new web_interface --no-dashboard --no-ecto --no-gettext --no-mailer --live

These commands run fine. However when I try to setup the app, something breaks:

  1. cd web_interface
  2. mix setup returns:

08:14:50.318 [warning] tailwind version is not configured. Please set it in your config files:

config :tailwind, :version, “3.2.4”

Browserslist: caniuse-lite is outdated. Please run:
npx update-browserslist-db@latest
Why you should do it regularly: GitHub - browserslist/update-db: CLI tool to update caniuse-lite to refresh target browsers from Browserslist config

Rebuilding…

To me, this is odd. Everything is fresh new, so I was really not expecting any warning. But it gets worse. Once rebuilding is done, I get an actual error:

Done in 200ms.

08:14:52.146 [warning] esbuild version is not configured. Please set it in your config files:

config :esbuild, :version, "0.16.4"

** (RuntimeError) no arguments passed to esbuild
(esbuild 0.7.0) lib/esbuild.ex:170: Esbuild.run/2
(esbuild 0.7.0) lib/mix/tasks/esbuild.ex:49: Mix.Tasks.Esbuild.install_and_run/1
(mix 1.14.1) lib/mix/task.ex:421: anonymous fn/3 in Mix.Task.run_task/4
(mix 1.14.1) lib/mix/task.ex:479: Mix.Task.run_alias/6
(mix 1.14.1) lib/mix/cli.ex:84: Mix.CLI.run_task/2

At first I thought this was happening because I had something outdated in my machine. So I did some updates:

  1. mix local.hex
  2. mix archive.install hex phx_new

However, this did not fix the issue.

I am running on Windows.

Questions

  1. It is my understanding that if I create a new app inside an umbrella project, elixir is smart enough to detect that and I don’t need to do anything new/different. Is this the case?
  2. IIRC the --live flag became a default in Phoenix 1.6. Is this still case for 1.7? (Meaning all apps are live now, by default?)
  3. Why am I getting this error? How can I fix it?

Marked As Solved

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Answer

The issue here was that I was using an incorrect command when creating the Phoenix app. I was using mix phx.new instead of mix phx.new.web.

To me, this is rather confusing, as from the documentation/tutorials (https://elixir-lang.org/getting-started/mix-otp/dependencies-and-umbrella-projects.html#umbrella-projects) we have this quote:

(…) First of all, since we generated this project inside kv_umbrella/apps, Mix automatically detected the umbrella structure (…)

Which states that when creating an app inside an umbrella project, Mix does have the capacity to detect it and act accordingly.

This does not hold true for Phoenix apps. For reasons beyond my understanding, Phoenix apps do not know their context and thus the user needs to tell mix that the new app will be inside an umbrella project.

This is confusing to me. Sometimes mix is smart enough to know, other times, it isn’t. I don’t know which times it knows and which times it doesn’t.

So, to conclude, given the original questions:

  1. Wrong. Mix detects umbrella projects when creating normal apps. When creating Phoenix apps, it detects nothing. The user must use mix phx.new.web. It is unclear when Mix is able to detect umbrella apps and when its not.
  2. --live flag is now default and not needed.
  3. Because I was creating the Phoenix app with an incorrect assumption and thus using the incorrect command.

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

dyowee
Why or when should one choose Tailwind over Bootstrap? :slight_smile:
New
axelson
In Elixir I love to use the library GitHub - sasa1977/boundary: Manage and restrain cross-module dependencies in Elixir projects to enfor...
New
pillaiindu
I mean, when you render all the HTML at the server side and the data is sent through HTTP requests, except only if some tiny things are d...
New
palak231
Hi this is Palak Sharma I am new here and I found this community while researching about JavaScript over the internet. Well I have comp...
/js
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a a fresh umbrella project with a Phoenix app inside. To create the app I used the following commands: mix new test_a...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a Phoenix application, where all pages (expect the login page) have a menu at the top. This menu will therefore only a...
New
gameengineer
We are developing on Samsung Tab Active 4 Pro using Android Studio, kotlin and java. We are getting what we think are app deadlocks. The ...
New
wilsoc31
First time building an app. It will run for Android and also for iPhone 15 but will not for iPod. Not sure why or where to even begin. ...
New
Clintonsuck
Hello, I am new and trying to build my first app. So far, everything was going okay, but now I’m stuck and don’t know how to proceed. May...
New
grboi
I am learning full-stack and wanted to know which tech would be best, which would scale better. This is because when sitting for intervie...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New