AstonJ

AstonJ

Will we see a disruption in digital services because of Covid-19?

Inspired by @swelham’s post:

https://forum.devtalk.com/t/hows-everyone-coping-with-the-coronavirus-pandemic/247/25

Are we likely to see a disruption in digital services like we have in other sectors?

Wonder what contingencies service providers have in place and whether they have already considered what to do in these kinds of possible scenarios…

Most Liked

Eiji

Eiji

Everything depends on how long Covid-19 would stay with us. China is already almost done with it, so I do not expect much more new troubles coming from it. Of course we still would have a problem with delivery delays from China fabrics, but this would look better and better really soon.

However I expect expanding of Gaming industry a lot. In Japan for some time there is lack of Nintendo Switch (except Lite version). Not only consoles, but also online gaming services should be happy. I expect lots of new job offers around Gaming-related topics.

Time would show if game servers would not be much overloaded. This could be combined with problems of hardware production, but it should not affect us so really much at least in longer term.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I doubt anyone had contingencies. Even if you work with Kubernetes or any auto-scaling clouds like AWS the matter of increasing the upper bound of servers is still a cost matter and has to be vetted by the business.

Steam already reported a record amount of concurrently online users btw.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
AstonJ
I just watched this: (tldr: remove bad choices so you don’t need to use willpower) It got me thinking about ways to incre...
New
AstonJ
Thought it might be worth having a dedicated thread for standing desk treadmills (for those interested, here’s our general thread on stan...
New
New
finner
When you are under pressure to deliver you ideally want your Pull Request to be reviewed, approved and merged as quick as possible. So do...
New
Rainer
Not sure if following fits exactly this thread, or if we should have a hobby thread… For many years I’m designing and building model air...
New
Exadra37
A modern streaming platform for mission critical workloads Redpanda is a Kafka® compatible event streaming platform. No Zookeeper®, no JV...
New
Exadra37
My brother got a VPS on https://contabo.com hosting provider, but I was not aware of them, and when my brother told me the price and spec...
New
DevotionGeo
Amazon CodeWhisperer is an alternative to GitHub Copilot, and it’s free!
New
harwind
I’m working on a C++ program where I need to convert a string containing a numeric value into an integer. I want to ensure that this conv...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New