Benjamin-Philip

Benjamin-Philip

How do you keep in touch with your local programming community?

I think socializing and local awareness are two very important skills for a programmer today. How do you keep up with what’s happening in your city or country? How do you interact with communities outside your immediate interest? What channels do you follow? If you’re an organiser of some kind, how do you market your events?

In my case, I am an Erlang/Elixir contributor based out of Bangalore, India. Since the Elixir community is very small, I follow (and have spoken at) various global Elixir/BEAM conferences like CodeBEAM America and Elixirconf EU. However, I am completely out of touch with what’s happening in India or even Bangalore. I would like to do more to promote Elixir in India and learn about what are the interesting developments happening around me. To me, this means attending meetups and conferences, and joining or forming local user groups and forums. However, I’m not sure what are the first steps to go in this direction. How do I find relevant events and organizations at a local level? Is this even the right approach in 2026 (or is it a little 2000s)?

Leaving my situation aside, I still think it is a useful exercise to compare how different communities socialise and weigh the pros and cons of each approach. How does this process vary from country to country or even technology community to community? Maybe this thread will inspire someone to discover new communities in a different country or conversely discover a new group in their own city.

Most Liked

conradwt

conradwt

Regarding the Elixir Programming Language, I have used the following:

  • Podcasts
  • Forums
  • Newsletters
  • Local events (i.e. Meetups, conferences, online webinars)

Regarding the Rust Programming Language, I have used the following:

  • Mailing lists
  • Newsletters
  • Podcasts
gfqdjb

gfqdjb

I’m subscribed to a few newsletters and subreddits that help me keep up with what’s going on locally. There aren’t many conferences here in Chile, and traveling abroad to attend one is pretty expensive, so it’s not really an option. There are some meetups, and I’ve gone to a few, but they’re not really my thing.

These days I mostly just follow key people to stay up to date in different areas, and I also end up learning a lot from friends and coworkers.

usernametakenaaaa

usernametakenaaaa

I’ve been SO much on Stackoverflow, it’s crazy how quickly that high quality site was de-facto destroyed by AI.
I’ve rarely seen something like that.
These days I am more on reddit, while I dislike the platform generally .. it has a lot of developers and the AI community is really active there.
For pure READING it’s X - but X is not for interacting. If you don’t pay thousands or are one of the lucky few boosted accounts your voice is dead there.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

chasekaylee
I’ve been using the classic notebook to-do list, but I’m curious to hear what awesome tools are out there that I am not aware of. I’m alw...
New
chasekaylee
Hi there! I have some old Bose in ear noise cancelling headphones that have worked like a champ for the past 3 years and was maybe due fo...
New
AstonJ
Just been adding some more portals, currently have the following languages: Apache Groovy C C# C++ Clojure CoffeeScript Crystal ...
New
jss
What do people think about Data-Oriented Programming, like this book tackles? https://www.manning.com/books/data-oriented-programming Ho...
New
DevotionGeo
The Odin programming language is designed with the intent of creating an alternative to C with the following goals: simplicity high per...
New
AstonJ
Things like smart speakers (such Amazon Alexa), smart TVs or other devices with built in microphones, cameras or with other features that...
New
AstonJ
Hi everyone… I’m so sorry about the delay in getting this thread up, I’ve just been so busy :see_no_evil: Are there any book clubs you’d...
New
AstonJ
Maybe a specific language or framework? Or a book or tool perhaps? What’s made your life easier and what do you think could make the live...
New
AstonJ
Thought this would be a nice way to start the year - have you seen or written a function (or method) or piece of code that you are partic...
New
Margaret
Hello DevTalk Community! Once again, The Pragmatic Programmers are looking for developers who’d like to help shape the future of our boo...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New