xiji2646-netizen

xiji2646-netizen

Claude Code's entire source just leaked (512K lines) - anyone else digging through it?

Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript files.

How it happened

Single .map file in production npm package → R2 bucket URL → complete source download.

Classic supply chain security fail.

What’s exposed

  • QueryEngine.ts (46K lines): entire LLM API engine
  • Tool.ts (29K lines): all agent tools
  • commands.ts (25K lines): slash commands
  • ~40 tools, ~85 commands
  • Feature flags: PROACTIVE, VOICE_MODE, BRIDGE_MODE, KAIROS
  • Easter egg: BUDDY digital pet system (hidden, April launch planned)

Anthropic’s response

Removed source map, deleted old npm versions. Too late — 3+ GitHub mirrors already exist.

The ironic part

This is Anthropic’s second leak in 5 days. March 26: CMS error exposed unreleased “Claude Mythos” model + 3K assets.

Community: “The irony is unreal” — Anthropic markets Claude’s code review capabilities, then leaks own code via config error.

Nuanced take

Developer Skanda: “This ‘leak’ is clickbait. Claude Code CLI has always been readable in npm package (minified JS). Source map just makes it readable TypeScript.”

He’s right. Anthropic never treated CLI logic as secret. Core moat = Claude model, not CLI tool.

But: seeing code ≠ understanding code. Source map lowered barrier significantly.

What you can learn

Developer Jingle Bell analyzed the codebase, found 4 production patterns:

  1. System prompt engineering: Tool constraints, risk controls, output specs make AI predictable
  2. Multi-agent orchestration: Coordinator mode, permission mailbox, atomic claims, team memory
  3. Three-layer context compression: MicroCompact (local), AutoCompact (near limit), Full Compact (nuclear option)
  4. AutoDream memory consolidation: Background process, 4-phase flow (Orient → Gather → Consolidate → Prune)

For developers, this is a free masterclass in production AI architecture.

Discussion questions

  • Is this actually a “leak” if the minified code was already public?
  • Does exposing CLI architecture hurt Anthropic’s competitive position?
  • What’s the biggest lesson here — supply chain security or AI architecture patterns?

Links:

Anyone else spending their weekend reading through this?

Most Liked

dyowee

dyowee

reading source code != understanding source code

:slight_smile:

gfqdjb

gfqdjb

ThePrimeagen shared some highlights:

KnowledgeIsPower

KnowledgeIsPower

There are lots of post in X/twitter about the leak.

Some are the analysis, some are April’s fool.

Where Next?

Popular Ai topics Top

AstonJ
Can you spot the AI generated person in the pic below? ▶ Spoiler Video here:
New
AstonJ
I have a feeling we’re going to see a lot of threads about DeepSeek, so have put up a portal for it :003:
New
apoorv-2204
I’m reaching out to all software engineers, especially senior developers — I really want to hear your thoughts. I’ve always loved buildi...
New
xiji2646-netizen
I’ve been tracking this for the past two weeks and wanted to see if others are experiencing the same thing. BridgeBench (independent hal...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Just went through the Anthropic migration guide for Opus 4.7 and there are more gotchas than the announcement implied. Curious if others ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Anthropic launched Claude Design this week and there’s a lot of noise about the generation demos and the stock reaction. But the feature ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Been using a two-stage workflow for AI video production that’s been consistently more reliable than text-to-video: Generate a 3×3 stor...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Alibaba just opened public API access for HappyHorse 1.0, the model currently ranked #1 on Video Arena’s blind tests. What caught my att...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New
LatentLogic
I got tired of comparing Seedance 2.0 API providers. There are simply too many. I have personally come across at least 20–30 platforms, ...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New