AstonJ

AstonJ

What are the most 'natural' feeling languages around?

In your opinion which programming languages are simple to use and easy to get started wither those who don’t have a computer science background or exposure to other languages previously? In other words, which feel the most natural - where they just happen to flow: when you think something is going to work, it just does.

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

I agree pointless bickering is unnecessary as a lot of the time it will boil down to personal preference.

However, there are basic principles to design and that includes in language design - KISS is one such example. It all depends on the goal of the language - for some, being ultra succinct can be a goal, for others, familiarity, while others might aim for intuitiveness/feeling ‘natural’.

On top of that you have how syntax looks, and this is very subjective - some people can absolutely love the syntax of a language, while others might think it looks ugly.

In terms of language design, highly intuitive and natural languages are my favourite. Reminds me of the famous line out of Enter the Dragon; the art of fighting without fighting. I like languages which feel effortless… almost as if you’re not programming at all and certainly not having to constantly battle or feel baffled :blush:

hauleth

hauleth

TBH I find abandoned Quel much more readable, as you can read them top to bottom naturally, which not really is a thing in SQL.

About “easiness” of the language I think that shells are there the one of the most “natural” approaches.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

It’s only that though – fascinating / a point of interest. IMO programmers bickering over syntax is quite unproductive.

There surely is some neuro-science truth buried there somewhere. As various poets have said: “the difference between the wrong word and the right word is to be described the effects of lightning compared to being hit by it”.

So probably there is a syntax that helps our brain along with the programming itself. But IMO people overdo the syntax disputes.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

jaywengrow
Hello! It’s Jay Wengrow, author of A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms. My book now has a supplemental website, where ...
New
AstonJ
Always interested in seeing what apps people use and how they organise their phones/home screens! Here’s mine…
New
Exadra37
I am a Linux user since 2012, more or less, and I always use Ubuntu on my computers, and my last 2 laptops have been used Thinkpads, wher...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
Rainer
Not sure if following fits exactly this thread, or if we should have a hobby thread… For many years I’m designing and building model air...
New
DevotionGeo
The Odin programming language is designed with the intent of creating an alternative to C with the following goals: simplicity high per...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
ohm
I just switched jobs to tech lead with a small team of about 6 other developer. This is my first tech lead job. What do I need to know? A...
New
AstonJ
Just wondering whether you have a preference (I know I do!) poll
New
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New