DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

The Odin Programming Language

The Odin programming language is designed with the intent of creating an alternative to C with the following goals:

  • simplicity
  • high performance
  • built for modern systems
  • joy of programming

Example Code

package main

import "core:fmt"

main :: proc() {
	program := "+ + * 😃 - /";
	accumulator := 0;

	for token in program {
		switch token {
		case '+': accumulator += 1;
		case '-': accumulator -= 1;
		case '*': accumulator *= 2;
		case '/': accumulator /= 2;
		case '😃': accumulator *= accumulator;
		case: // Ignore everything else
		}
	}

	fmt.printf("The program \"%s\" calculates the value %d\n",
	           program, accumulator);
}

Language Features

(Copied from the homepage).

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Interesting… How does it compare to Zig that seems to have the same goals?

DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

I didn’t use it yet, but the first thing I noticed is syntactical similarity to Go, the short variable declaration operator, defer keyword, absence of parenthesis around conditions in conditionals, even names of the packages and methods like fmt.printf.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

I also thought it looked like go

How to choose between go, rust or zig? :slight_smile:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this tweet by @dasdom Even if you take out all the damage being done by humans, our planet has about 50B years before bein...
New
chasekaylee
Hi there! I have some old Bose in ear noise cancelling headphones that have worked like a champ for the past 3 years and was maybe due fo...
New
AstonJ
Curious to know which languages and frameworks you’re all thinking about learning next :upside_down_face: Perhaps if there’s enough peop...
New
dwaynebradley
For those that are interested, Snyk (developer security tool) announced support for Elixir earlier this week: Just thought I’d pass it...
New
AstonJ
Just listened to @rvirding’s interview here and he mentions #lua (and Luerl) - just wondered if anyone’s used Lua and what you think of it?
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
Exadra37
Kubernetes is everywhere. Transactional apps, video streaming services and machine learning workloads are finding a home on this ever-gro...
New
AstonJ
00:00 The Year 2022 00:38 Web3 03:28 Metaverse 05:05 AI 06:22 Databases 07:31 JavaScript 09:58 Other Trends to Know WDYT - what wi...
New
Maartz
Hey, I love Regex, letting my kids slaming the keyboard until finding the good regex to do the job has always been a source of joy and p...
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New