AstonJ

AstonJ

What are your tips for language and framework creators?

If you had the ear of a language creator, what would you say - what could they do to make a language that you would use? :upside_down_face:

Most Liked

Phillipp

Phillipp

Two things:

  1. Do NOT do anything that the JS/NodeJS ecosystem did (especially the unusable stacktraces).
  2. Do NOT ever force any form of static typing onto the user. Make it at least opt-in.

:running_man:

hauleth

hauleth

Do not use Markdown/CommonMark for documentation. Use more expressive and configurable format like ASCIIDoc.

This is absolutely trend that I cannot understand. Markdown was designed for writing blogposts with almost not typesetting. Yet for some reason people thought that it will be a great format for documenting code, which need few more additional stuff, that was never a plan for MD (cross document references, math, graphs, tables, definition lists, etc.). Just stop and use ASCIIDoc for gods sake.

Phillipp

Phillipp

Well, someone asked for my opinion and I wrote my opinion.

I worked both with Golang and with Typescript. Golang is just horrible and 95% of my problems are related to the language bitching about some type specific things. It’s just annoying.
In Typescript, I mostly just type my stuff with interfaces but it also often gets in my way. External libs either miss type information or they are just wrong. D3 is especially hard to work with. Also everything that is related to DOM elements. And I cannot even check if a variable matches a certain interface, thus having to have a type property on certain interfaces.

I’ve worked with PHP for a long time and never had any type related issues. The addition of type hints was nice but it was all optional so one could use it in places where it makes sense.

I also love the way Elixir handles it with pattern matching, therefore I do not understand why everyone wants to force a strict type system onto Elixir.

Just my 2 cents. (But I guess we both had the same discussion a few times already on the Elixir forum :smiley: )

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Which apps do you think are killing it right now? Either from a technical perspective or ones that you like personally or feel have been...
New
AstonJ
Looking at @siddhant3030’s photo from the Do you blog? thread, do you cover your computer or phone camera as a security precaution? Wha...
New
jaywengrow
Hello! It’s Jay Wengrow, author of A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms. My book now has a supplemental website, where ...
New
AstonJ
Do you think it’s worth worrying about? Do you think it’s going to be an even bigger issue in future? If so what can the teams of smaller...
New
AstonJ
Hi everyone… I’m so sorry about the delay in getting this thread up, I’ve just been so busy :see_no_evil: Are there any book clubs you’d...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
New
DevotionGeo
Hi everyone! I bought this domain name when I was planning to create a website like ElixirSchool.com, but that didn’t ever happen. Now ...
New
jaeyson
Hi!, hope everyone’s ok. Sorry if this question is ambiguous (i’ll remove this if i break some rules here). This is more like a self-ques...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New