chaptuck

chaptuck

Fitness tracker platforms

I am thinking about getting a fitness tracker of some kind (probably one from Garmin). Have any of you developed your own widgets, watchfaces, or apps for smart watches or fitness trackers? Any advice for someone considering developing on wearables?

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

If you’re not 100% set on Garmin, have you thought about an Apple Watch? It could be a nice reason to get into Swift :003: …and you could make the next big app and make some money out of it :smiley:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Careful though, the linux support for those kind of sucks because Apple likes to close things down into their jail. Fitbit’s are pretty linux friendly though, but who knows if it will remain that way now that google bought them out…

chaptuck

chaptuck

I thought about an Apple Watch though the only Apple products in my house are from work (i.e. I don’t use for personal things). I don’t think Apple allows you to sync with Android devices (I could be wrong here). I don’t need a super smart watch either just something to track health and fitness metrics.

Garmin products are the most open with the data they track (as far as I can tell) and the devices I am looking into have pretty good battery life as well (some of them with 10+ day battery life).

Also I don’t really like square watches (squircle?) but that is just a personal preference.

I had a Fitbit awhile ago and I really like it (before Google acquired them). I’m a little sad that Fitbit now requires a subscription to view past data (who thought that was a good idea).

It looks like the Fitbit SDK is based on JavaScript, CSS, and SVG which is something I am more familiar with than the “Monkey C”? that Garmin uses.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Thread to discuss ideas and thoughts on how developers might be able help in the Coronavirus pandemic.
New
AstonJ
What chair do you have while working… and why? Is there a ‘best’ type of chair or working position for developers?
New
AstonJ
Great paper by Igor Kopestenski on Erlang and GRiSP: Erlang as an Enabling Technology for Resilient General-Purpose Applications on Edge ...
New
Rainer
Not sure if following fits exactly this thread, or if we should have a hobby thread… For many years I’m designing and building model air...
New
jss
What do people think about Data-Oriented Programming, like this book tackles? https://www.manning.com/books/data-oriented-programming Ho...
New
jaeyson
Hi all, does anybody tried Shankar Devy’s Phoenix Inside Out book series? Also, will there be a big difference (aside from context prior...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been watching Prag Dave’s Elixir course and I noticed he uses tree: Tree is a recursive directory listing program that produces a ...
New
DevotionGeo
For me it’s six to seven steps above complete dark, on MacBook Air M1.
New
Maartz
Hey, I love Regex, letting my kids slaming the keyboard until finding the good regex to do the job has always been a source of joy and p...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New