ivanhercaz

ivanhercaz

Strategies for use changelogs and bump versions

Hi!
I usually keep changelogs for my projects because I think they are really useful, not only to track the changes and not to be lost between them, but also to share with work mates or even to share with the project managers.

I follow different strategies to track the changes and it always depends of some facts, for example:

  • If I already release a first version of the project, I apply the semantic versioning specification. So I try to keep a changelog related with the version.
  • But sometimes I have not release a version yet, because it is a project under development of the first version or we don’t consider it to have the features needed to be considered as 0.1.0 version. In these cases I also write a changelog, but usually date-based. For example, I am working in a #nerves project in which I have not released a first version of the firmware yet, but I have to present the changes and new features done or in which I am working, so I attached to the release file name a date and then in the changelog I track what is done in this version.

I also have used another strategies but I am interested to know what others do and how they usually track the changes, because it is probably that I could improve my workflow knowing more about how other developers works.

Of course, there are practices that I don’t seem very useful, like the changelogs that are composed of commits, because I think it can be confused and for that I can see directly the commits made in the repository.

I usually work with #elixir so I am also interested in tools that can help to use changelogs or even to bump the version (something that sometimes I miss because I am bit clueless hehe). I searched on Hex for “changelog” and I found some packages to work with that, like git_ops (git_ops | Hex) and version_release (https://hex.pm/version_release).

I already have some pending reading, like Keep a Changelog, that seems a spec for writing changelogs with useful advices. If you know some interesting reading about it, I will be really grateful if you share it here.

And, as an extra (:joy:) bonus question: if you a project in which you are working that it is not prepared yet to be considered as a 0.1.0 version but you have to show to your work mates and to the project manager, do you think it would be appropriate and useful to present them as release candidate versions?

I wish someone finds this topic as interesting as it is for me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Most Liked

Eiji

Eiji

If I would decide then I would like to have something between Keep a Changelog and Elixir/Phoenix changelog files.

  1. Firstly I would use a text from Keep a Changelog as a top information:
# Changelog

All notable changes to this project will be documented in this file.

The format is based on [Keep a Changelog](keepachangelog.com),
This project adheres to [Semantic Versioning](semver.org).
  1. Secondly based on Elixir and Phoenix repositories I would like to split a CHANGELOG.md between branches, so it would not be too long.

  2. From Elixir changelog a -dev release would be a huge inspiration as well as -rc. (release candidate) naming

  3. I would link related wikis, issues and pull requests

  4. Finally again following Elixir and Phoenix repositories I would like to link to a previous CHANGELOG.md file in other branch

Yeah, I also think that mentioning commits does not makes sense. Instead I would like to have a quick links to:

  1. Wiki which describes the features of application from user perspective
  2. Issue which describes the features from developer perspective
  3. PR which describes implementation details

The PR itself contains all lists of commits and references Issue. The Issue also references to Wiki. This way everyone can quickly navigate between Release/Changelog, PR (implementation), Issue (dev discussion) and Wiki (user needs), so the whole project stays clean and allows everyone to understand the project at all levels.

Something like:

## v1.1.0-dev

### Features

#### App name (in case umbrella)

##### Feature name

* **User perspective**: wiki#1
* **Developer perspective**: issue#1
* **Implementation details**: pr#1, pr#2, … (more than one in case of PR for each bug fix)

### Enhancements

#### App name (in case umbrella)

##### Enhancement name

* **User perspective**: wiki#2
* **Developer perspective**: issue#2
* **Enhances**: issue#1
* **Implementation details**: pr#3

### Bug fixes

#### App name (in case umbrella)

##### Bug name

* **Developer perspective (i.e. bug report)**: issue#4
* **Affect feature/enhancement**: issue#1
* **Implementation details**: pr#4

### 3. Soft deprecations (no warnings emitted)

#### App name (in case umbrella)

##### Deprecated feature/enhancement

* **Deprecates**: issue#5
* **In favor of**: issue#6

### Hard deprecations

#### App name (in case umbrella)

##### Deprecated feature/enhancement

* **Deprecates**: issue#5
* **In favor of**: issue#6

## v1.0

The CHANGELOG for v1.0 releases can be found [in the v1.0 branch](<link to changelog in 1.0 branch>).

As above 0.1.0-dev branch and it’s README.md file.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
A thread that every forum needs! Simply post a link to a track on YouTube (or SoundCloud or Vimeo amongst others!) on a separate line an...
New
AstonJ
What do you think needs fixing in the digital / computer science sphere?
New
AstonJ
Always interested in seeing what apps people use and how they organise their phones/home screens! Here’s mine…
New
mafinar
I always start with excitement and then get busy on 9/10th day. This year, like the year before this, and the year before that, I intend ...
New
New
DevotionGeo
The Odin programming language is designed with the intent of creating an alternative to C with the following goals: simplicity high per...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
jaeyson
Hi!, hope everyone’s ok. Sorry if this question is ambiguous (i’ll remove this if i break some rules here). This is more like a self-ques...
New
DevotionGeo
Amazon CodeWhisperer is an alternative to GitHub Copilot, and it’s free!
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New