conradwt
Programming Phoenix 1.4: Add category_id to video table (page 121)
On page 103, we perform:
mix phx.gen.html Multimedia Video videos user_id:references:users \
url:string title:string description:text
The above code adds a field, user_id, to the videos tables.
video.ex:
defmodule Rumbl.Multimedia.Video do
use Ecto.Schema
import Ecto.Changeset
schema "videos" do
field :description, :string
field :title, :string
field :url, :string
field :user_id, :id
belongs_to :user, Rumbl.Accounts.User
belongs_to :category, Rumbl.Multimedia.Category
timestamps()
end
@doc false
def changeset(video, attrs) do
video
|> cast(attrs, [:url, :title, :description, :category_id])
|> validate_required([:url, :title, :description])
end
end
One page 121, when I attempt to perform:
mix ecto.gen.migration add_category_id_to_video
I’m getting the following error message:
Compiling 1 file (.ex)
== Compilation error in file lib/rumbl/multimedia/video.ex ==
** (ArgumentError) field/association :user_id is already set on schema
(ecto 3.5.8) lib/ecto/schema.ex:2056: Ecto.Schema.put_struct_field/3
(ecto 3.5.8) lib/ecto/schema.ex:1809: Ecto.Schema.define_field/4
(ecto 3.5.8) lib/ecto/schema.ex:1896: Ecto.Schema.__belongs_to__/4
lib/rumbl/multimedia/video.ex:11: (module)
(stdlib 3.14) erl_eval.erl:680: :erl_eval.do_apply/6
(elixir 1.11.3) lib/kernel/parallel_compiler.ex:314: anonymous fn/4 in Kernel.ParallelCompiler.spawn_workers/7
Marked As Solved
conradwt
I was able to resolve the issue by removing user_id field from the videos schema. It would be great if the book was updated to show the error caused by having both
field :user_id, :id and belongs_to :user, Rumbl.Accounts.User and providing a resolution.
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2)
Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell
PS C:\Users\r...
New
I ran this command after installing the sample application:
$ cards add do something --owner Brian
And got a file not found error:
Fil...
New
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error:
** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
I’m running Android Studio “Arctic Fox” 2020.3.1 Patch 2, and I’m embarrassed to admit that I only made it to page 8 before running into ...
New
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
Hi, I’ve got a question about the implementation of PubSub when using a Phoenix.Socket.Transport behaviour rather than channels.
Before ...
New
Modern Front-End Development for Rails - application does not start after run bin/setup (page xviii)
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
Disclaimer: I hope all of this is accurate, and not the result of some stupid typo I failed to notice. Anyways…
This post comprises 2 is...
New
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter:
could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New
Other popular topics
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have?
Would you recommend it? Why?
What will your next keyboard be?
Pics always w...
New
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
New
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
This is a very quick guide, you just need to:
Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/
Click on search
Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released.
Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /scala
- /react-native
- /lisp
- /textmate
- /sublime-text
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /spring
- /ubuntu
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /lua
- /quarkus
- /diversity
- /markdown









