adamu

adamu

Programming Phoenix 1.4: Chapter 5 HTTP DELETE clarification (page 98)

I’ve been dabbling in Elixir for years, but I’m finally learning Phoenix properly. Very much enjoying this book and how it explains everything the framework is doing along the way to prove there is no magic.

However, I think I found some magic (or at least, some behaviour that does not follow the explanation) for the link helper.

Quote:

The link:
…
• Uses the HTTP delete method

By passing the :method option to link, Phoenix generates a form tag instead of an anchor tag. Links without a specified HTTP method will default to GET, and Phoenix will render a simple link.

However, when I inspect the HTML in the browser, it has generated an anchor tag

<a data-csrf="NhNzCRlHNh4vGSxzPjAqKj1EBiZiNXMoig59otnzWXVGFCGsyivk1vEo" data-method="delete" data-to="/sessions/6" href="/sessions/6" rel="nofollow">Log out</a>

When I read this, I expected a <form> tag instead of an <a> tag.

I suppose the anchor tag is a kind of form tag, but it’s not a <form> and the “instead of an anchor tag” is confusing. Maybe it meant instead of an <a href> tag?

When clicked, the request is submitted as form data using post, not delete, contrary to the explanation. Although the delete action on the controller is called, so somewhere something must be interpreting post requests and checking for a _method paramter to route it as if the _method was the HTTP method.

Most Liked

adamu

adamu

Looking into this some more, this is explained in the Endpoint plugs section of the Phoenix Plug Guide:

  • Plug.MethodOverride - converts the request method to PUT, PATCH or DELETE for POST requests with a valid _method parameter

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chapter 11: prefab) Just played a couple of amulet-less games. With a bit of debugging, I believe that your can_p...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
jskubick
I’m running Android Studio “Arctic Fox” 2020.3.1 Patch 2, and I’m embarrassed to admit that I only made it to page 8 before running into ...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: &lt;%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New

Sub Categories: