remmy

remmy

Programming Phoenix 1.4: Chapter 7: Doesn't mention how to actually get the form validation error for category select (page 140)

Hello,

At the end of page 140 the book implies that assoc_constraint means that you should get a descriptive form validation error when submitting the video new/edit form with a category ID that doesn’t exist:

As with unique_constraint, when we set up assoc_constraint, we no longer get Ecto.ConstraintError. Instead, they’re converted into changeset error messages.

You can try to reproduce this constraint error via our web application in a couple of ways. For example, you could load the page, then remove the category from the database and submit the form after choosing the removed category. If you feel a bit more sneaky, you can fiddle the select options in the browser console, changing their value and then submitting the form.

However, the book never tells you to add an error_tag to the category select field, nor is it included in the source code that comes with the book, so there is in fact no way to just reproduce the error in the web application as per the book.

Intuitively I would also have expected to be able to use <%= error_tag f, :category_id %>, since the actual select field is named like that:

<%= select f, :category_id, category_select_options(@categories), prompt: "Choose a category" %>

But since it’s an assoc_constraint on :category the actual error is on :category rather than :category_id, so you need to use <%= error_tag f, :category %> instead, which is not explained in the book either, and it took me a while to figure out why it wasn’t being rendered.

It’s also not entirely clear to me whether just <%= error_tag f, :category %> is enough, or whether I might need a second error_tag with :category_id as well to cover all potential validation errors?

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
brunogirin
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get: pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7 ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
a.zampa
@mfazio23 I’m following the indications of the book and arriver ad chapter 10, but the app cannot be compiled due to an error in the Bas...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New

Sub Categories: