nirg

nirg

New user to Onivim, getting started is not easy

So, I actually got my Onivim License Key a while back.
Am a Vim user for about 4 years.
For me it was never ready enough for getting actual work done.

I have now decided to try and give it a try again.

I am struggling with some very basic stuff.
And the biggest issue is that I cant find anything in the documentation to help me with that.

Setup:
fresh installation on windows.
trying to work on current projects in C++, and some files in Lua.

Issues I have:

  1. gt and gT dose not work.
    how the @#$ do I move around the tabs?
    also :ls dose not do anything and :tabNext dose not seems to work.

  2. I have set “ignorecase” and “smartcase”. however, when in the file browser, It has no effect.
    must use case sensitive search when looking for files.

  3. I cant install ctags/Exuberant ctags.
    searching in the Extention tabs shows no results

  4. language/project tools:
    gd dose not work.

CTRL-] work if the definition is on the same line.
if the symbol is defined on a different file, the file will be opened, but I will be taken to the beginning of the file and not to the actual definition of the symbol.

  1. the outline in the file browser is empty.

  2. no smart auto complete or anything like that.
    should I install an extension for this to work?

If anyone has any tips for me to overcome these issues I will be very greatfull.

Thanks!

Most Liked

nirg

nirg

Hi bryphe,
Thanks for the fast and detailed replay!
You helped me getting to a place I can try and do some work with Onivim2,

Here is some more feedback:
I would love to see gt and gT do the same work as CTRL+PageUp and CTRL+PageDown.
its just closer to the Vim experiance that I/users expect ( I think?)

I am trying to work with clangd.
So far, it seems to work OK.
interesting fact, CTRL-] dose not jump to the exact location, also CTRL-T dose not return to the exact location.
However, gd dose work well, and CTRL-O dose return to the correct position.

last question, when using auto complete and there are several options, is there a key to navigate up and down the list? I don’t want to use the arrow keys because I don’t want to leave the Home row.
In VsCode there is a way to use CTRL-J/K to navigate the list.

Thanks again.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Welcome Nir! :smiley:

Hopefully @bryphe or @zbaylin will spot this and be able to offer you some help :blush:

bryphe

bryphe

Creator of Onivim

Hi Nir,

Developer on Onivim here. Thanks for trying it out and reporting your feedback! Still have work to do to be able to check that ‘Easy to use’ bullet point.

gt and gT dose not work.

Actually another user just posted feedback here too: Feature Request: Add gt and gT as default keybindings · Issue #3673 · onivim/oni2 · GitHub

The confusing part is the concept of ‘tabs’ - editors like VSCode/Sublime have a concept of tabs that are per split, whereas Vim’s ‘tabs’ are actually containing a set of splits.

Right now - gt and gT only work on ‘Vim-style’ tabs: tabs created via :tabnew. To cycle the ‘editor tabs’, you can use Control+PageUp/Control+PageDown.

I’m exploring some improvements though - I’m working on the following:

  • A diagram to show the difference between the ‘editor tabs’ and ‘vim tabs’
  • Change the default, such that if there aren’t any vim tabs created, gt and gT will cycle the editor tabs.

Control+Tab is another quick way to jump between buffers that’s worth trying out.

I have set “ignorecase” and “smartcase”. however, when in the file browser, It has no effect.
must use case sensitive search when looking for files.

Ah, I just saw an issue logged for this today - must’ve been from you? Thank you for taking the time to log it, it’s indeed a bug that the search isn’t taking those values into account!

cant install ctags/Exuberant ctags. searching in the Extention tabs shows no results

Unfortunately looks like Exuberant ctags isn’t in the Open VSX marketplace.

I recommend using the clangd extension for C & C++ - it works pretty well out of the box, and even better if there is a compile-commands.json to give it some info about include paths.

Some more instructions here in our docs.

For gd support, outline, and auto-complete - clangd or another extension is needed to give that language functionality.

If clangd doesn’t work for you, we could look at forking + publishing the exuberant-ctags extension on open-vsx. I’ve had a few users tell me they prefer the ctags flow. Let me know how it goes!

Cheers,
Bryan

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

New
New
New
First poster: davearonson
Welcome to the third part of this series aimed to help you unleash a power never seen on Earth using the Almighty Vim. If you don’t under...
New
First poster: bot
Once, there was a civilization (the Lisp Machine world) a lot like ours, but more advanced, with greater powers (like symbolic computatio...
New
First poster: bot
See full diagram here: https://rawgit.com/darcyparker/1886716/raw/eab57dfe784f016085251771d65a75a471ca22d4/vimModeStateDiagram.svg This...
New
nirg
So, I actually got my Onivim License Key a while back. Am a Vim user for about 4 years. For me it was never ready enough for getting ac...
New
XSukhpreet
I think for now VsCode is getting very much goody at developer side, even thou sublime text 4 is faster . But if Onivim take these two an...
New
AstonJ
Anyone seen Neovide? Looks pretty neat! This is a simple graphical user interface for Neovim (an aggressively refactored and updated Vi...
New
First poster: malloryerik
A modern open source code editor in Rust Native GUI and Rust powered performance, we as developers know what you need for an essential to...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New