AstonJ

AstonJ

Vim And Emacs Are The Most Important Skills You Should Learn

This was interesting:

He’s definitely more of an Emacs fan (which is fine) and the thing I found interesting is how you work with remote servers - on Vim you don’t, you use the terminal to SSH into a remote server and then fire up the installed Vim there to edit files, but in this vid he’s saying with Emacs you ssh into the server from emacs and any files you edit you edit on -your- emacs on your local machine, not one installed on the server. This is interesting!

So does this mean Emacs has a ‘full’ terminal? And will it use my .bashrc or .zshrc automatically? I have lots of functions/aliases etc that I’d want to use. Would be cool if it can do this!

Most Liked

Hallski

Hallski

I have never really explored the workflow in Emacs but I believe if you just open a terminal and ssh from there you will only have that terminal connected to the SSH session. Emacs has support for connecting (similar to VSCode) through TRAMP Mode which from my understanding will cause the normal “find file” etc to act on the remote file system.

On that note, I can recommend you look into using vterm, I have found it to be a much greater experience than M-x term.

You can enable it through .doom.d/init.el (it needs libvterm as well though).

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Emacs can do all that and a whole lot more. There’s a reason the meme about Emacs being its own OS is a thing, lol.

AstonJ

AstonJ

I’ve just tried it but I’m stuck :lol:

I’m using doom-emacs and do SPC :term then I ssh into the server with my usual alias, then when there I navigate to the directory which contains the file I want to open. If I press escape and then SPC I am shown:

If I press . I am only shown my local files, but I want to open one of the files from the server - is there an easy way to do that after having navigated to the folder as I have above? Or can I only open a file as per the video where you must already know the file name and location and use the path while ssh’ing in (in which case it’s not much use to me as it’s much easier then just to ssh into the server normally).

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
If you would prefer your file tree to be on the right hand side in Onivim, just: CTRL (or CMD) + SHIFT + P Then start to type config th...
New
First poster: bot
What you need to know before try Emacs. When it comes to Emacs, every programmer should have heard its name more or less. After all, Ema...
New
AstonJ
Inspired by some of the comments in our https://forum.devtalk.com/t/your-vim-tips/4748 (in particular those by Mafinar and Hallski) …what...
New
First poster: bot
In 2018 Bryan Cantrill gave a brilliant talk where he shared his recent experiences with the Rust programming language. More profoundly, ...
New
CommunityNews
adobe/brackets. An open source code editor for the web, written in JavaScript, HTML and CSS. - adobe/brackets This thread was posted...
New
CommunityNews
https://vimgifs-544mvq4w0-mraza007.vercel.app/ This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.
New
First poster: bot
At Replit, we want to give our users the most powerful, flexible, and easy-to-get-started coding environment. However, it has been limiti...
New
First poster: bot
This article is the fifth of the series aimed to teach Vim from the ground up: Vim from the ground up Vim for Beginners Vim for Interm...
New
nirg
So, I actually got my Onivim License Key a while back. Am a Vim user for about 4 years. For me it was never ready enough for getting ac...
New
sona11
I want to declare max of length in case condition i.e 7 but getting a syntax error near select in this code. DECLARE @SQ Int(MAX) SELEC...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New