TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists

Novice developer hoping to learn Elixir - any tips?

Hello Folks,

I am a novice developer from India. Intending to learn Elixir and web apps (phoenix framework).

What are things that I MUST know ? and If there are some awesome-lists , it’d be of great use.

I hope this thread would serve as a good archive of broad concepts for job market.

Marked As Solved

wolf4earth

wolf4earth

Again +1 on Exercism.org.

As others said before, the official tutorial and the “Elixir in Action” book are really good ways to get started. Exercism.org then allows you to do exercises, submit them, and get feedback from real people (mentors) which will help you a lot with learning best practices and wrapping your head around the functional paradigm.

If I were you, I’d take a look at the official documentation, start with a toy project, maybe look into “Elixir in Action” if things don’t make sense, and then deepen my understanding through Exercism.org.

If you ever feel super stuck, shoot me a message! I’ve been writing Elixir for a living the past 5 years.

Also Liked

davearonson

davearonson

I’ll give a different tip: check out Exercism.io and do the Elixir track. Having some kind of little project to do really helps, you can inspect the test suite they supply so you learn testing (try to come up with more tests on your own), and best of all, you can get feedback from mentors.

mafinar

mafinar

I learned Elixir from the official docs and getting my hands dirty with a project at work. One tip I can give you is that don’t get overwhelmed when you see people talking about OTP. You can learn the language and solve problems with ut without getting to know much in that department and by the time you really need it, you will have all know how and motivation for it.

I don’t know what prior experience you have with programming but things might feel a little slow with all the pattern matching, pipes and new way of thinking- give it time and you’ll love it eventually.

If you can grab the book “Elixir in Action” that would be awesome, it is one of the most enjoyable programming books I’ve read. ElixirSchool is awesome too. But really the official docs alone could be a great friend.

I have some free time from September 14th, so if you want we can set up a pair programming session or two? You can even open a thread on your Elixir learning journey and post any questions you might feel and we can join in and learn together. I am sure someone had done it here and that was a pretty informative thread.

Congratulations for deciding to learn Elixir. It has been the most rewarding learning and using experience for me and I am sure for a lot like me. Just let me know if you need any assistance :slight_smile:

Maartz

Maartz

As a binge reader, I can encourage you to read the book series from PragProg.

I can recommend in order:
Programming Elixir <= 1.6
Programming Phoenix <= 1.4
After these two books, you’ll be ready to tackle some basic, medium tasks.

Programming Ecto, Designing Elixir Systems
with OTP and Testing Elixir should be the next steps IMHO.

Exercism.org and Codewars.com are also good resources to learn by solving problems too.
For quick help, usually I try to reach the Discord server or lookup for a similar topic on elixir-forum.

We’re lucky to have pragprog editing so much books about Elixir that’s insane.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

Kurisu
Hello, Please, let’s say I have a website with user authentication made with Elixir/Phoenix, and now want to add a forum to it (using a ...
New
ohm
Does anybody have good learning resources with regards to going into Event Driven Design, Architecture or Sourcing? I got recommended Er...
New
Jsdr3398
Are there any databases that require no setup (can be shipped in a small zip together with the project)?
New
sampu
I have a use case where a client is invoking a Rest endpoint via a load balancer, which in turn invokes a third party endpoint which is r...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying out polymorphic typing with dialyzer. As an example I am using the famous Option type (aka, Maybe Monad) that is n...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying to encode a structure into json format using the Jason library. However, this is not working as expected. Code L...
New
harwind
I received this error for a binary search programme in C, despite the fact that it requested for inputs and produced the right output. Th...
/c
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a phoenix application in Windows 11. Unfortunately for me, I cannot compile the application because of a dependency err...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background When trying to execute mix release on a Windows 11 machine for a Phoenix project I get the following error: * assembling mark...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have an umbrella app where I use a dependecy called ETS. This dependency has a type called set_options that I use in some of...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New