jaimeiniesta

jaimeiniesta

Screenshots as a service

I maintain a project that lists hundreds of thousands of web pages, and I’d like to show a screenshot for each web page. There are already some services out there that give you this service, and are very easy to integrate in an app - all you need is use an IMG tag, basically, but I’m worried about the costs.

So, I’m evaluating building this in-house to reduce costs. I think that it would be pretty easy to set up an AWS Lambda with Puppetteer that, given the URL of the page and some options like size, takes a screenshot and maybe caches it to S3?

Do you have any experience with this? Is there already an open source solution that I can easily set up?

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

I would think it’d be significantly cheaper to create and run you own than use AWS Lambda :slight_smile:

You could use something like:

…and host the service on a very cheap dedicated server (you can get them for about $40 a month now I think). You could them simply copy them over to your app or hotlink to them from a sister-domain or subdomain on that server. Large hard drives are very cheap now, so you could easily host up to 2TB for around that cost I reckon.

There are lots of good dedicated server suggestions in this thread on EF btw: https://elixirforum.com/t/deploying-elixir-opinions-on-heroku-digitalocean-bluemix-etc/289

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

chasekaylee
Hi there everyone! Recently, I have fallen in love with programming with Elixir and have been having so much fun with it. I have been do...
New
wolf4earth
At work we plan to replace a totally overkill Kafka instance with a combination of SNS and SQS. I don’t want to get into a discussion on ...
New
dimitarvp
Hey everyone, I resumed work on my Elixir <=> SQLite library (which uses a Rust NIF underneath) and I am in a need of small and we...
New
mrmurphy
I’ve run into a situation where I’ve got a list of posts inside of a container that uses phx-update=“prepend”, and the posts on the socke...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background While playing around with dialyzer, typespecs and currying, I was able to create an example of a false positive in dialyzer. ...
New
osbre
Hello everyone I’m trying to implement a “magic link” or “one-time login link” functionality I wonder what a secure way to implement it...
New
harwind
In C, how they are different? char str[] = "xyz"; // statement //and char str[4] = "xyz"; // statement The first, i...
/c
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a phoenix application in Windows 11. Unfortunately for me, I cannot compile the application because of a dependency err...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have an umbrella app where I use a dependecy called ETS. This dependency has a type called set_options that I use in some of...
New
Shiny
Hey community, this is my first post here so I will try to be as concise as possible and I appreciate any feedback. I’ve been writing Ro...
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New