ahamez

ahamez

Machine Learning in Elixir: Chapter 1 doesn't work with Axon 0.7 (page 26)

Hello @seanmor5 ,

When upgrading Axon to 0.7, evaluation fails with:

** (ArgumentError) argument at position 3 is not compatible with compiled function template.

%{i: #Nx.Tensor<
    s32
  >, model_state: #Inspect.Error<
  got Protocol.UndefinedError with message:

      """
      protocol Enumerable not implemented for #Nx.Tensor<
        f32[3]
      > of type Nx.Defn.TemplateDiff (a struct). This protocol is implemented for the following type(s): Date.Range, Explorer.Series.Iterator, File.Stream, Function, GenEvent.Stream, HashDict, HashSet, IO.Stream, Kino.Control, Kino.Input, Kino.JS.Live, List, Map, MapSet, Range, Stream, Table.Mapper, Table.Zipper
      """

  while inspecting:

      %{
        data: %{
          "dense_0" => %{
            "bias" => #Nx.Tensor<
              f32[3]
            >,
            "kernel" => #Nx.Tensor<
              f32[4][3]
            >
          }
        },
        state: %{},
        __struct__: Axon.ModelState,
        parameters: %{"dense_0" => ["bias", "kernel"]},
        frozen_parameters: %{}
      }

  Stacktrace:

    (elixir 1.17.2) lib/enum.ex:1: Enumerable.impl_for!/1
    (elixir 1.17.2) lib/enum.ex:166: Enumerable.reduce/3
    (elixir 1.17.2) lib/enum.ex:4423: Enum.reduce/3
    (axon 0.7.0) lib/axon/model_state.ex:359: anonymous fn/2 in Inspect.Axon.ModelState.get_param_info/1
    (stdlib 6.0) maps.erl:860: :maps.fold_1/4
    (axon 0.7.0) lib/axon/model_state.ex:359: anonymous fn/2 in Inspect.Axon.ModelState.get_param_info/1
    (stdlib 6.0) maps.erl:860: :maps.fold_1/4
    (axon 0.7.0) lib/axon/model_state.ex:320: Inspect.Axon.ModelState.inspect/2

>, loss: 
  <<<<< Expected <<<<<
  #Nx.Tensor<
    f32
  >
  ==========
  #Nx.Tensor<
    f64
  >
  >>>>> Argument >>>>>
  , optimizer_state: {%{scale: #Nx.Tensor<
       f32
     >}}, loss_scale_state: %{}, y_true: #Nx.Tensor<
    u8[120][3]
  >, y_pred: #Nx.Tensor<
    f64[120][3]
  >}

    (nx 0.9.1) lib/nx/defn.ex:342: anonymous fn/7 in Nx.Defn.compile_flatten/5
    (nx 0.9.1) lib/nx/lazy_container.ex:73: anonymous fn/3 in Nx.LazyContainer.Map.traverse/3
    (elixir 1.17.2) lib/enum.ex:1829: Enum."-map_reduce/3-lists^mapfoldl/2-0-"/3
    (elixir 1.17.2) lib/enum.ex:1829: Enum."-map_reduce/3-lists^mapfoldl/2-0-"/3
    (nx 0.9.1) lib/nx/lazy_container.ex:72: Nx.LazyContainer.Map.traverse/3
    (nx 0.9.1) lib/nx/defn.ex:339: Nx.Defn.compile_flatten/5
    (nx 0.9.1) lib/nx/defn.ex:331: anonymous fn/4 in Nx.Defn.compile/3
    #cell:75r7qhxms33esmsj:5: (file)

It seems it’s a problem between the type of the iris dataset (:f64) whereas :f32 is expected.

Marked As Solved

kubafu

kubafu

I stumbled upon it too and fixed it with explicit conversion to :f32, i.e.

    x_train =
      train_data[@columns]
      |> Nx.stack(axis: 1)
      |> Nx.as_type(:f32)

    y_train =
      train_data["species"]
      |> Nx.stack(axis: -1)
      |> Nx.equal(Nx.iota({1, 3}, axis: -1))

    x_test =
      test_data[@columns]
      |> Nx.stack(axis: 1)
      |> Nx.as_type(:f32)

    y_test =
      test_data["species"]
      |> Nx.stack(axis: -1)
      |> Nx.equal(Nx.iota({1, 3}, axis: -1))

Also Liked

nunez

nunez

Cool! I updated it at the dataframe level since Nx still scares me.

cols = ~w(sepal_width sepal_length petal_length petal_width)

normalized_iris =
  DF.mutate(
    iris,
    for col <- across(^cols) do
      {col.name, Explorer.Series.cast((col - mean(col)) / standard_deviation(col), :f32)}
    end
  )

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
raul
Page 28: It implements io.ReaderAt on the store type. Sorry if it’s a dumb question but was the io.ReaderAt supposed to be io.ReadAt? ...
New
HarryDeveloper
Hi @venkats, It has been mentioned in the description of ‘Supervisory Job’ title that 2 things as mentioned below result in the same eff...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
rainforest
Hi, I’ve got a question about the implementation of PubSub when using a Phoenix.Socket.Transport behaviour rather than channels. Before ...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New
New
dachristenson
I just bought this book to learn about Android development, and I’m already running into a major issue in Ch. 1, p. 20: “Update activity...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File &gt; New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New

Sub Categories: