pieteeken

pieteeken

Machine Learning in Elixir: comments on chapter 11, version B 3.0

Comments to Chapter 11 version B 3.0

@seanmor5

The dependencies from chapter 11 gave errors on 10 march 2024.
I followed the advices in the errors, but at the end it still didn’t work.
So I loaded this versions (They work with cuda120!)

 Mix.install([  
  {:bumblebee, "> 0.0.0"},  
  {:axon, "> 0.0.0"},  
  {:exla, "> 0.0.0"},  
  {:nx, "> 0.0.0"},  
  {:kino, "~> 0.8"},  
  {:kino_bumblebee, "> 0.0.0"}  
 ])  

Nx.global_default_backend(EXLA.Backend)  

Section Generating Text

Bumblebee.Text.conversation does not exist in BumbleBee version 0.5
So I used Bumblebee.Text.generation()
Also the Kino part had to be changed!

With Bumblebee.Text.generation() the model with “microsoft/DialoGPT-medium” only finishes sentences. So it is not really a chatbot.

If you change the model to “gpt2” you get a real chatbot (but it is a weird bot!)
Sentences are repeated. Don’t know how to handle it.


# The weird bot  
{:ok, model} = Bumblebee.load_model({:hf, "gpt2"})  
{:ok, tokenizer} = Bumblebee.load_tokenizer({:hf, "gpt2"})  
{:ok, generation_config} = Bumblebee.load_generation_config({:hf, "gpt2"})  

# This model "microsoft/DialoGPT-medium"  only finishes sentences 
# {:ok, model} = Bumblebee.load_model({:hf, "microsoft/DialoGPT-medium"})  
# {:ok, tokenizer} = Bumblebee.load_tokenizer({:hf, "gpt2"})  
# {:ok, generation_config} = Bumblebee.load_generation_config({:hf, "microsoft/DialoGPT-medium"})  

generation_config = Bumblebee.configure(generation_config, max_new_tokens: 100)  

Also the serving statement mus be changed

serving =  
  Bumblebee.Text.generation(model, tokenizer, generation_config,  
    compile: [batch_size: 1, sequence_length: 1000],  
    defn_options: [compiler: EXLA]  
  )  

The Kino part must be changed a bit.
In the form watch the “%{results…” line

frame = Kino.Frame.new()  
controls = [message: Kino.Input.text("New Message")]  
form = Kino.Control.form(controls, submit: "Send Message", reset_on_submit: [:message])  

form  
|> Kino.Control.stream()  
|> Kino.listen(nil, fn %{data: %{message: message}}, _token_summary ->  
  Kino.Frame.append(frame, Kino.Markdown.new("**Me:** #{message}"))  

  %{results: [%{text: text, token_summary: token_summary}]}= Nx.Serving.run(serving, %{text: message})  

  Kino.Frame.append(frame, Kino.Markdown.new("**Bot:** #{text}"))  
  {:cont, token_summary}  
end)  

Kino.Layout.grid([frame, form], gap: 16)

Section Classifying Images

In the first cell:
defn_options: [compiler: EXLA] gives an error, maybe because of use cuda120?
So I removed it

{:ok, model_info} = Bumblebee.load_model({:hf, "google/vit-base-patch16-224"})
{:ok, featurizer} = Bumblebee.load_featurizer({:hf, "google/vit-base-patch16-224"})
serving =
  Bumblebee.Vision.image_classification(model_info, featurizer,
    top_k: 1,
    compile: [batch_size: 1]
    # defn_options: [compiler: EXLA] #gives error
  )

The Kino part doesn’t work at all.
Dragging the image removes all the Evalute/Reevaluate knobs
Open camera and Upload work correct.
But pushing the Run button gives an error. I could not repair that.
So I replaced the Kino part by:


image =  
  "/home/piet/livebooks/ML_Elixir/Cat.jpg"  
  |> StbImage.read_file!()  
  |> StbImage.resize(224, 224)  
  |> StbImage.to_nx()  
  |> Nx.as_type({:u, 8})  
  
  output = Nx.Serving.run(serving, image)  

output.predictions  
|> Enum.map(&{&1.label, &1.score})  
|> Kino.Bumblebee.ScoredList.new()  

Section Fine-tuning Pre-trained Models

In the beginning training seemed to go well, although the accuracy after batch 861 was 0.0920101!
And at that batch I got an error!
The error after Epoch: 0, Batch: 861:

  ** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: ["\"2", "This must be the place that .....  
  ............  
  ..........."]  
     
   (stdlib 5.1.1) erl_eval.erl:498: :erl_eval.expr/6  
    #cell:33sgnufmubmhq4l6:11: (file)  
    #cell:33sgnufmubmhq4l6:10: (file)  
    #cell:33sgnufmubmhq4l6:14: (file)  

Probably there is some error in the Yelp zip file.
I downloaded it twice but still an error.

Also every adding to the output gave the annoying warning:

warning: passing options to Bumblebee.apply_tokenizer/3 is deprecated, please use Bumblebee.  configure/2 to set tokenizer options  
  (bumblebee 0.5.3) lib/bumblebee.ex:856: Bumblebee.apply_tokenizer/3  
  (elixir 1.15.7) src/elixir.erl:396: :elixir.eval_external_handler/3  
  (stdlib 5.1.1) erl_eval.erl:750: :erl_eval.do_apply/7  
  (stdlib 5.1.1) erl_eval.erl:494: :erl_eval.expr/6  
  (stdlib 5.1.1) erl_eval.erl:136: :erl_eval.exprs/6  
  (elixir 1.15.7) lib/stream.ex:613: anonymous fn/4 in Stream.map/2  

Since this is not the end version (I assume) and the dependencies are not right, the chapter, besides the first section, needs a rewrite.
If it is necessary I can send you my livebook, But I don`t know how to attach.

First Post!

jshprentz

jshprentz

@seanmor5

As Piet reported, the code on page 260 fails at

    image
    |> Nx.from_binary(:u8)

Based on the example at Examples — Bumblebee v0.5.3, I replaced the image line with this pipeline:

    image.file_ref
    |> Kino.Input.file_path()
    |> File.read!()

Now the Run button successfully ingests the image, runs the model, and reports the top predictions. The serving = ... code on page 259 contained the option top_k: 1, so only one prediction is shown. After changing 1 to 5 and uploading the book’s cat image, the five predictions match those shown on page 261, albeit with different probabilities.

Here is the complete modified code from page 260:

image_input = Kino.Input.image("Image", size: {224, 224})
form = Kino.Control.form([image: image_input], submit: "Run")
frame = Kino.Frame.new()

form
|> Kino.Control.stream()
|> Stream.filter(& &1.data.image)
|> Kino.listen(fn %{data: %{image: image}} ->
  Kino.Frame.render(frame, Kino.Markdown.new("Running..."))

  image =
    image.file_ref
    |> Kino.Input.file_path()
    |> File.read!()
    |> Nx.from_binary(:u8)
    |> Nx.reshape({image.height, image.width, 3})

  output = Nx.Serving.run(serving, image)

  output.predictions
  |> Enum.map(&{&1.label, &1.score})
  |> Kino.Bumblebee.ScoredList.new()
  |> then(&Kino.Frame.render(frame, &1))
end)

Kino.Layout.grid([form, frame], boxed: true, gap: 16)

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
New
jskubick
I’m running Android Studio “Arctic Fox” 2020.3.1 Patch 2, and I’m embarrassed to admit that I only made it to page 8 before running into ...
New
hgkjshegfskef
The test is as follows: Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1)) And s ← sphere...
New
Charles
In general, the book isn’t yet updated for Phoenix version 1.6. On page 18 of the book, the authors indicate that an auto generated of ro...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
kolossal
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
andreheijstek
After running /bin/setup, the first error was: The foreman' command exists in these Ruby versions: That was easy to fix: gem install fore...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New
dachristenson
@mfazio23 Android Studio will not accept anything I do when trying to use the Transformations class, as described on pp. 140-141. Googl...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New

Sub Categories: