nathanl

nathanl

Machine Learning in Elixir: shouldn't z-score should be based on standard deviation (ch 1, B3.0)?

@seanmor5
On p. 41 it says:

For now, you’ll use standardization to scale your data…

then the following code is given

cols = ~w(sepal_width sepal_length petal_length petal_width)
normalized_iris =
  DF.mutate(
    iris,
    col <- across(^cols) do
      {col.name, (col - mean(col)) / variance(col)}
      end
    )

I’m very much a statistics newbie and learning as I go, but according to this page:

So to convert a value to a Standard Score (“z-score”):

  • first subtract the mean,
  • then divide by the Standard Deviation [emphasis mine]

And doing that is called “Standardizing”

That site explains Standard Deviation here: Standard Deviation and Variance

So in this code sample, shouldn’t we divide by standard_deviation(col) instead of by variance(col), like this?

cols = ~w(sepal_width sepal_length petal_length petal_width)
normalized_iris =
  DF.mutate(
    iris,
    col <- across(^cols) do
      {col.name, (col - mean(col)) / standard_deviation(col)}
      end
    )

Using the variance(col) version, I get an evaluated accuracy like this:

%{
  0 => %{
    "accuracy" => #Nx.Tensor<
      f32
      0.8999999761581421
    >
  }
}

Using the standard_deviation(col) version, that goes up to 0.9666666388511658.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
jdufour
Hello! On page xix of the preface, it says there is a community forum "… for help if your’re stuck on one of the exercises in this book… ...
New
raul
Page 28: It implements io.ReaderAt on the store type. Sorry if it’s a dumb question but was the io.ReaderAt supposed to be io.ReadAt? ...
New
joepstender
The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67) iex&gt; product = %Product{} %Pento....
New
brunogirin
When running tox for the first time, I got the following error: ERROR: InterpreterNotFound: python3.10 I realised that I was running ...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
roadbike
From page 13: On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio ...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New

Sub Categories: