Exadra37

Exadra37

Your Mac Isn't Yours - worse, it spies on you and sends it home unencrypted

On modern versions of macOS, you simply can’t power on your computer, launch a text editor or eBook reader, and write or read, without a log of your activity being transmitted and stored.

This means that Apple knows when you’re at home. When you’re at work. What apps you open there, and how often. They know when you open Premiere over at a friend’s house on their Wi-Fi, and they know when you open Tor Browser in a hotel on a trip to another city.

Well, it’s not just Apple. This information doesn’t stay with them:

  1. These OCSP requests are transmitted unencrypted. Everyone who can see the network can see these, including your ISP and anyone who has tapped their cables.
  2. These requests go to a third-party CDN run by another company, Akamai.
  3. Since October of 2012, Apple is a partner in the US military intelligence community’s PRISM spying program, which grants the US federal police and military unfettered access to this data without a warrant, any time they ask for it. In the first half of 2019 they did this over 18,000 times, and another 17,500+ times in the second half of 2019.

Your computer now serves a remote master, who has decided that they are entitled to spy on you. If you’ve the most efficient high-res laptop in the world, you can’t turn this off.

Most Liked

CommunityNews

CommunityNews

TL;DR

  • No, macOS does not send Apple a hash of your apps each time you run them.
  • You should be aware that macOS might transmit some opaque information about the developer certificate of the apps you run. This information is sent out in clear text on your network.
  • You shouldn’t probably block ocsp.apple.com with Little Snitch or in your hosts file.

https://blog.jacopo.io/en/post/apple-ocsp/

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our automated news source trackers.

Carter

Carter

So Apple’s “secure enclave” and “the most secure personal computer in the world” and all the other marketing BS doesn’t mean :poop: then!!

AstonJ

AstonJ

I always have a little doubt Paulo :sweat_smile:

For now I have blocked trustd in LittleSnitch :nerd_face: are there any other steps people are recommending?

Where Next?

Popular Macos topics Top

MikhailPertsev
Hi there! I am a new iMac user (this is the first Apple’s product for me), and I am wondering should I update the mac OS system to the n...
New
New
MikhailPertsev
Hi there! I wonder what is better for performance and “longevity” for iMac: should it be turned off through “Shut down” or should I put ...
New
New
AstonJ
I think we need a macOS rants thread - just for those little things that bug us :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Feel free to start dedica...
New
AstonJ
Posting this for future reference :grin: Open Automater > New > Quick Action Change Workflow receives current to no input ...
New
AstonJ
Just noticed this after the latest macOS update (11.3.1) - you can now set a low res (non-retina/HiDPR) mode: Handy if you need a 1:1...
New
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New