Aathithyan

Aathithyan

I don't know how to implement outgoing call feature in android studio using Kotlin

I need to know how to implement outgoing call in my custom application instead of using default phone call app i need my own app call.

Most Liked

comfygenpvt

comfygenpvt

Implementing outgoing calls in a custom Android application involves several steps. Below is a basic outline to guide you through the process. Note that this is a simplified overview, and you may need to adjust the code based on your specific requirements.

Add Permissions: Ensure that you have the necessary permissions in your AndroidManifest.xml file:

<uses-permission android:name=android.permission.CALL_PHONE" />

Create UI for Dialing: Design a user interface (UI) for dialing a phone number. You can use EditText for the phone number input and a Button to trigger the call.

<EditText
    android:id="@+id/editTextPhoneNumber"
    android:layout_width="match_parent"
    android:layout_height="wrap_content"
    android:inputType="phone" />

<Button
    android:id="@+id/buttonCall"
    android:layout_width="wrap_content"
    android:layout_height="wrap_content"
    android:text="Call" />

Handle Call Button Click: In your activity or fragment, handle the button click event and initiate the call:

Button buttonCall = findViewById(R.id.buttonCall);
buttonCall.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener() {
    @Override
    public void onClick(View v) {
        String phoneNumber = ((EditText) findViewById(R.id.editTextPhoneNumber)).getText().toString();
        makePhoneCall(phoneNumber);
    }
});

Implement makePhoneCall Method: Create a method to initiate the phone call using an Intent . This will launch the default phone app with the specified phone number:

private void makePhoneCall(String phoneNumber) {
    Intent dialIntent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_CALL, Uri.parse("tel:" + phoneNumber));
    startActivity(dialIntent);
}

Note: Starting from Android 23 (Marshmallow), you need to request the CALL_PHONE permission at runtime. You can check for permission before making the call and request it if necessary.

if (ContextCompat.checkSelfPermission(this, Manifest.permission.CALL_PHONE) == PackageManager.PERMISSION_GRANTED) {
    makePhoneCall(phoneNumber);
} else {
    // Request permission
    ActivityCompat.requestPermissions(this, new String[]{Manifest.permission.CALL_PHONE}, CALL_PHONE_PERMISSION_REQUEST_CODE);
}

Handle the permission result in the onRequestPermissionsResult method.

@Override
public void onRequestPermissionsResult(int requestCode, @NonNull String[] permissions, @NonNull int[] grantResults) {
    if (requestCode == CALL_PHONE_PERMISSION_REQUEST_CODE) {
        if (grantResults.length > 0 && grantResults[0] == PackageManager.PERMISSION_GRANTED) {
            makePhoneCall(phoneNumber);
        } else {
            Toast.makeText(this, "Call permission denied", Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
        }
    }
}

Remember to replace CALL_PHONE_PERMISSION_REQUEST_CODE with a constant value defined in your code.

Please note that the CALL_PHONE permission allows your app to make calls directly without user interaction. Ensure that you comply with privacy and security guidelines when implementing such features in your application.

Veeran

Veeran

To implement outgoing calls in your custom application, you can use Android’s TelephonyManager and Intent classes. First of all, request the necessary permissions in your AndroidManifest.xml. Then, use TelephonyManager to check if the device is capable of making calls. If yes, use Intent.ACTION_CALL to initiate an outgoing call with the desired phone number. Also, ensure you handle the appropriate permissions and runtime checks to avoid issues.
Regards

Where Next?

Popular Android topics Top

ciger
I want to get a clone of Instagram APK But with a difference I want to define in this clone that, for example, it is not possible to acc...
New
cajasigwe
Hi, Please I need help to get DHIS2 Capture working in Android Tablet Phone desk ( KT5-3C) Android Version: 10. Build: KT5-3C_LTE05M0_K...
New
Shadow
Good afternoon. Brief story: My institution has several nfc tags in building which have to be scanned with specific app built and used in...
New
freerefills
I have an android app whereby notifications will fire and immediately leave the tray. This doesn’t always happen, it’s unpredictable they...
New
JesperBlom
Hi Hope it is a simple question :slight_smile: I am planning to use a new PC for making my enterprise app. Everything works perfect, b...
New
sabibo
We recently switched some machines to a network that uses ipV6. Those machines are now unable to package our Unreal game for Android, du...
New
codergrid
I’m new to Android Studio, and curious about how long you’ve been using your Android Studio IDE. I read on Wikipedia that this year, Andr...
New
hasan10242048
There is an Android app. I just want to create two GRAPHS with CPU Runtime and Battery Consumption. It is as simple as this. I tried w...
New
Sadik
I’ve been hearing a lot about AI in mobile phones lately, and I’m kind of confused about how it’s different from the usual smart features...
New
bobj
The front screen cracked on my BLU J5L (FCC ID: YHLBLU5L20) months ago. The BLU company won’t won’t sell parts for it, or say which Chin...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New