CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Elton John and Dua Lipa seek protection from AI

They are among 400 artists appealing to Sir Keir Starmer, saying creative industries are threatened.

Read in full here:

Most Liked

ozornin

ozornin

As I see it, you shouldn’t, while you enjoy the results of your model in your room or share it with friends. But if you open the model or start distributing the results of it, then it makes sense that you compensate the original author as a derived work in some way (kind of like we do when sampling or covering).

It is tricky indeed, and the gray area is quite big

AstonJ

AstonJ

What I tend to do is put myself in their shoes - how would I feel if such and such happened. How would you feel if someone took your voice and started making tracks/money out of it…

alvinkatojr

alvinkatojr

I remember when videos of Jay-Z reading the Bible began surfacing on YouTube a few years back. Of course, he issued DMCA takedown notices, but ultimately couldn’t stop them.

According to the article, the bill being proposed would:

… require developers to be transparent with copyright owners about using their material to train AI models.

While I feel the artists have a right to earn from their works, it’s a tricky issue. If I’m listening to Dua Lipa and want to train a model to sing like her from music that I bought and paid for, why should I pay her again?

But that’s speaking from a low-scale indie level. The corporations of course would love such a form of argument because it allows them to plunder without recourse. And that’s bad for artists and bad for creators.

The question is: where is the middle ground? And is there one, if any?

This whole AI thing is a tricky debacle. Wading in this war makes me feel like a Luddite, so I’ll just use AI and watch the others fight.

Where Next?

Popular Ai topics Top

First poster: bot
NVIDIA Uses AI to Slash Bandwidth on Video Calls. NVIDIA Research has invented a way to use AI to dramatically reduce video call bandwid...
New
New
First poster: bot
DeepMind’s AI helps untangle the mathematics of knots. The machine-learning techniques could benefit other areas of maths that involve l...
New
New
First poster: CommunityNews
Making Things Think: How AI and Deep Learning Power the Products We Use — Holloway. AI now shapes our lives, yet few people know how mac...
New
CommunityNews
We present Imagen, a text-to-image diffusion model with an unprecedented degree of photorealism and a deep level of language understandin...
New
CommunityNews
AI supercomputer will use “tens of thousands” of Nvidia A100 and H100 GPUs.
New
New
CommunityNews
Cursor 1.0 brings BugBot for code review, a first look at memories, one-click MCP setup, Jupyter support and general availability of Back...
New
CommunityNews
How I helped Claude AI extend its capabilities only for the same AI to reject my job application.
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New