pudgyturtle

pudgyturtle

Hands-on Rust dungeon crawler bug I can't figure out (Amulet of Yala)

@herbert

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here: I’m working through the book Hands-On Rust and have just written the code required to spawn the Amulet of Yala in the map at the most accessibly distant tile from where the player spawns. It’s supposed to be added in the corner of some random faraway room, like this:

That image is from the book on pg 180. My code, however, has the amulet spawning not in a room but in one of the four corners of the entire map screen. i.e. completely unreachable:

I combed through every line of code and compared it to what’s in the author’s official repo (HandsOnRust/WinningAndLosing/winning at main · thebracket/HandsOnRust · GitHub) but can’t see what my mistake is. I finally just copied the code from all the files I touched for this Amulet of Yala task to ensure it’s identical, but the amulet is still spawning in a screen corner out of reach. The only files I edited for this are winning/src/components.rs winning/src/spawner.rs winning/src/map_builder.rs winning/src/main.rs winning/src/turn_state.rs and 'winning/src/end_turn.rs. I’m pretty sure the error involves map_builder.rs because it’s the Dijkstra map code that is determining the distance/placement of the amulet in relation to the player:

Anyway, I created a Github repository of all my code in case someone is willing, able, and kind enough to have a look. GitHub - pudgyturtle/dungeoncrawl I’m reluctant to suggest it’s a bug or error with the book because so far every error I’ve had has been my own typo or oversight, but this one has me super stumped. I’d appreciate any suggestions or help!

First Post!

malachid

malachid

@herbert

I’ll start by saying that I compared your code to my older commit and I didn’t see anything wrong with your code. I verified that mine was working and yours wasn’t. I did some debugging and found that yours is always positioned in one of the 4 corners. Specifically in:
idx [ dist ] point
0 [62]: Point { x: 0, y: 0 }
79 [97]: Point { x: 79, y: 0 }
3920 [31]: Point { x: 0, y: 49 }
3999 [66]: Point { x: 79, y: 49 }

I also verified that all 4 corners are always walls, as they should be since all four edges are walls.

As a test, I added this to the mb.amulet_start function:

                .filter(|(idx, dist)| {
                    match mb.map.tiles[*idx] {
                        TileType::Floor => {
                            true
                        },
                        TileType::Wall => {
                            false
                        },
                    }
                })

This resulted in the amulet being reachable.

That being said, I don’t have that code snippet in mine - but maybe that will help you track it down.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chapter 11: prefab) Just played a couple of amulet-less games. With a bit of debugging, I believe that your can_p...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
raul
Page 28: It implements io.ReaderAt on the store type. Sorry if it’s a dumb question but was the io.ReaderAt supposed to be io.ReadAt? ...
New
cro
I am working on the “Your Turn” for chapter one and building out the restart button talked about on page 27. It recommends looking into ...
New
jskubick
I’m running Android Studio “Arctic Fox” 2020.3.1 Patch 2, and I’m embarrassed to admit that I only made it to page 8 before running into ...
New
nicoatridge
Hi, I have just acquired Michael Fazio’s “Kotlin and Android Development” to learn about game programming for Android. I have a game in p...
New
brunogirin
When installing Cards as an editable package, I get the following error: ERROR: File “setup.py” not found. Directory cannot be installe...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
davetron5000
Hello faithful readers! If you have tried to follow along in the book, you are asked to start up the dev environment via dx/build and ar...
New
SlowburnAZ
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter: could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New

Sub Categories: