zendril

zendril

Hands-on Rust: spawn entities doesn't honor the frequency (page 276)

While converting to data driven spawning the data specifies that an item (like a dungeon map) has a frequency of 1.

However, when they actually get spawned, it is potentially creating many more of them (or none of them). This appears to be because it is leveraging map_builder.spawn_monsters which is hard coded to

const NUM_MONSTERS: usize = 50;

So that means this code is iterating over the 50 Points, rather than over the number of items in the available_entities:

        spawn_points.iter().for_each(|pt| {
            if let Some(entity) = rng.random_slice_entry(&available_entities) {
                self.spawn_entity(pt, entity, &mut commands);
            }
        });

Did I miss something, or is this indeed what is happening?

First Post!

herbert

herbert

Author of Hands-on Rust

Hi!

With hindsight, I should have used the rand crate’s weighted selection, but this seems to work. NUM_MONSTERS is meant to limit the total number of monsters - the actual weighting happens with available_entities.

At the top of spawn_entities (HandsOnRust/template.rs at main · thebracket/HandsOnRust · GitHub), available_entities is created by first filtering on level (so it only sees entities that can be on the level) and then inserting each entity a number of times equal to its frequency. So an orc with a frequency of 3 would be in available_entities 3 times.

So when random_slice_entry comes along and picks a slice entry, it includes all of the slice entries - including the duplicates. That preserves the weighting by template type.

Hope that makes sense?

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

GilWright
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
jdufour
Hello! On page xix of the preface, it says there is a community forum "… for help if your’re stuck on one of the exercises in this book… ...
New
HarryDeveloper
Hi @venkats, It has been mentioned in the description of ‘Supervisory Job’ title that 2 things as mentioned below result in the same eff...
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
akraut
The markup used to display the uploaded image results in a Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLTokenizer.ParseError error. lib/pento_web/live/product_l...
New
AufHe
I’m a newbie to Rails 7 and have hit an issue with the bin/Dev script mentioned on pages 112-113. Iteration A1 - Seeing the list of prod...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New

Sub Categories: