mesh2325

mesh2325

Hands-on Rust: flappy does not compile due to outdates bytemuck

Hands on Rust: Effective Learning through 2D Game Development and Play

Page 48

Cargo.toml file in book:

[package]
name = "hello_bterm"
version = "0.1.0"
authors = ["Herbert Wolverson <herberticus@gmail.com>"]
edition = "2018"
[dependencies]
bracket-lib = "~0.8.1"

When calling cargo run, get the following error:

error: failed to download `bytemuck v1.12.1`

Caused by:
  unable to get packages from source

Caused by:
  failed to parse manifest at `C:\Users\Mike Chambers\.cargo\registry\src\github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823\bytemuck-1.12.1\Cargo.toml`

Caused by:
  feature `resolver` is required

  this Cargo does not support nightly features, but if you
  switch to nightly channel you can add
  `cargo-features = ["resolver"]` to enable this feature

rustup version 1.25.1 and rustc 1.50.0

Is there a specific version of rust we need to use to get this to work?

First Post!

herbert

herbert

Author of Hands-on Rust

Hi!

That’s a new one, haven’t run into that before! I’ll revisit this tomorrow when I have more time, but in the mean-time here’s two things to try:

Option 1: Lock the revision
Change the bracket-lib dependency to =0.8.1, and then run cargo update. That will force the package to the version that was live when the book released.

Option 2: Update Rust
At your command-line, issue rustup self update and then rustup update. I’m running rustup version 1.6.3 here, which definitely includes the new resolver system.

Hope that helps!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jdufour
Hello! On page xix of the preface, it says there is a community forum "… for help if your’re stuck on one of the exercises in this book… ...
New
HarryDeveloper
Hi @venkats, It has been mentioned in the description of ‘Supervisory Job’ title that 2 things as mentioned below result in the same eff...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
patoncrispy
I’m new to Rust and am using this book to learn more as well as to feed my interest in game dev. I’ve just finished the flappy dragon exa...
New
nicoatridge
Hi, I have just acquired Michael Fazio’s “Kotlin and Android Development” to learn about game programming for Android. I have a game in p...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
adamwoolhether
Is there any place where we can discuss the solutions to some of the exercises? I can figure most of them out, but am having trouble with...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: &lt;%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
AufHe
I’m a newbie to Rails 7 and have hit an issue with the bin/Dev script mentioned on pages 112-113. Iteration A1 - Seeing the list of prod...
New
kolossal
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: