raels

raels

Creating Software with Modern Diagramming Techniques: is ERD correct? (page 89)

@ashleypeacock

There doesn’t seem to be a difference in the notion of independence between GENRE ->> TITLE_GENRE <<-- TITLE, and ACTOR -->> TITLE_ACTOR <<-- TITLE. Eliminating the title does not eliminate the actor nor the genre, and likewise for eliminating the actor or genre does not eliminate the title. TITLE_GENRE does’t explicitly include the primary key designation the way the TITLE_ACTOR model does. This seems to fly in the face of earlier statements defining the independence of relationships based on primary key.emphasised text

First Post!

ashleypeacock

ashleypeacock

Author of Creating Software with Modern Diagramming Techniques

@raels Thank you for reporting, I think this section needs a little bit of a clean up, and it doesn’t help the diagram is slightly wrong for TITLE / TITLE_GENRE / GENRE (it should be both PK/FK). The ACTOR / TITLE_ACTOR / TITLE one is correct though with its keys, so a mistake on my part to not make it the same on both in terms of keys!

I’ll try to clarify the wording though, as it’s not about eliminating so much, it’s about “uniquely identifying” (in the case of identifying) or not. Out of curiosity, did the eliminating come from this chapter, and if so what part? As the domain modelling chapter touches on this with regards to composite vs aggregate, but it’s quite different in an ERD and identifying / non-identifying doesn’t really map to composite and aggregate, so was just curious if perhaps that lead to some of the confusion too.

So if we take ACTOR / TITLE_ACTOR, it’s identifying because the TITLE_ACTOR can’t be identified without ACTOR. The keys are a good way to decide too, in that title_id is in the primary key for TITLE_ACTOR.

Then for non-identifying, it means they are linked, but the relationship is just a foreign key, and the parent entity’s primary key isn’t used in the child entity. We can see this in TITLE and REVIEW, where TITLE has an ID, and so does REVIEW, and they are both primary keys. However, REVIEW is linked to TITLE by a foreign key, but it’s non-identifying because TITLE can be identified without REVIEW and vice-versa (because a review might be against a title, but it might be against an episode or season, and then title_id would be NULL). Whereas in the case of TITLE and TITLE_ACTOR, we can’t identify the TITLE_ACTOR without TITLE.

To take it one step further and explain it more, if we said a REVIEW was only against a TITLE, and we changed REVIEW to have a composite primary key of review_id & title_id, then it becomes identifying.

Does that make it a little clearer? I will try to make it clearer in the chapter too, as I did go back and forth on a few different ways and wordings for this part of the chapter, so an area for improvement I think, so thank you again for highlighting!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

iPaul
page 37 ANTLRInputStream input = new ANTLRInputStream(is); as of ANTLR 4 .8 should be: CharStream stream = CharStreams.fromStream(i...
New
GilWright
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
gilesdotcodes
In case this helps anyone, I’ve had issues setting up the rails source code. Here were the solutions: In Gemfile, change gem 'rails' t...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
nicoatridge
Hi, I have just acquired Michael Fazio’s “Kotlin and Android Development” to learn about game programming for Android. I have a game in p...
New
brunogirin
When installing Cards as an editable package, I get the following error: ERROR: File “setup.py” not found. Directory cannot be installe...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New

Sub Categories: