victor

victor

Creating Software with Modern Diagramming Techniques: deactivation inside alt branches (page 31-32)

If I interpret this sequence diagram correctly, in case of invalid input, the Error message should end the activation of Sign Up Service. That is, just because a branch is the last one it shouldn’t be the one deactivating the participant, as activation doesn’t fall through branches (well, I think it shouldn’t) since they represent alternate flows of execution. In other words, if the valid input branch went first, it would end up activation of Sign Up Service and the error message would appear to be sent out of activation.

I imagine this is all due to a limitation of Mermaid, as I tried to deactivate SUS in the error message and got an error. I would report this to Mermaid but wanted to double check first, I also imagine someone else has already reported it.

The way I see it, the activation should end on the error message, and start again on the line dividing alt branches, to represent that on this branch, activation remains on since the GET /sign_up message.

Most Liked

victor

victor

Yes, it was totally clear, and I agree that extracting the common messages is preferable to duplicating them, which is done only so that activation remains unbroken across branches.

I don’t think that “resuming” the activation at the start of each branch would be wrong, but it’s apparent that Mermaid’s authors don’t agree with me. I’ll raise that issue directly with them.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
Mmm
Hi, build fails on: bracket-lib = “~0.8.1” when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0: Compiling winit v0.22.2 error[E0308]: mi...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
hgkjshegfskef
The test is as follows: Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1)) And s ← sphere...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
New
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New

Sub Categories: