mikecargal

mikecargal

Apple Game Frameworks and Technologies: Chapter 5 question

Title: Name of book: Apple Game Frameworks and Technologies (Chapter 5 “die” animation)

Not an errata that I can tell so far…

I’m at the point in Chapter 5 of changing to the “die” animation on gameOver().

For some reason, the display does not change to the “die” png.

I’ve placed print() debugging statements in the player::die() method

    func die() {
        print("Player::die()")
        guard let dieTextures = dieTextures else {
            preconditionFailure("Could not find die textures!")
        }
        print("removeAction(forKey: \"walk\"")
        removeAction(forKey: "walk")
        
        print("dieTextures=>>\(dieTextures)<<")
        print("startAnimation(name:\"die\"")
        
        startAnimation(textures: dieTextures, speed: 0.25,
                       name: "die",
                       count: 0, resize: true, restore: true)
    }

and I get the following in the debug console:

player hit collectible
player hit collectible
collectible hit foreground
Player::die()
removeAction(forKey: "walk"
dieTextures=>>[<SKTexture> 'blob-die_0' (186 x 196)]<<
startAnimation(name:"die"

So, I know:

  • the die() method is being called.
  • the dieTextures has a single entry named “blob-die_0” (dimensions 186x196 on iPhone 8 simulator (and I see the 3x dimensions if I run on another simulator), so it really seems like it’s finding the png assets. (I followed the link in the assets, and it opened a directory that has the “sad blob” images.)

But this is what the screen looks like (you can even see the rectangle missing from removing the physics attributes from the drop

I’ve thought about comparing to the “end” project but there’s a lot of stuff left in the chapter before I get to the “end” state (so not applicable to current state). (I did start from my own previous project state (not the “start” project file. I may re-work my way through chapter 5 to this point on that project . But, I generally find that I learn a lot be trying to debug whatever I did wrong. In this case I’ve read, re-read, re-compared the steps in chapter 5 until I’m cross-eyed. (The changes for the labels, and everything up to this are all “working”)

So, as a question… does anyone have a suggestion as to where I should look. (I’m in that debugging state, where there’s so little involved in the changes, that I can’t see what I may have missed). Hoping someone has been here and can point me in the right direction.

Oh yeah… feel free to tell me “you’re on your own. Your mess, you clean it up” :slight_smile:

Marked As Solved

mikecargal

mikecargal

Mystery solved…

It was “Code Completion” in the SpriteKitHelper::startAnimation(...) { ... SKAction.animate(...) ...} with a withNormalTextures: instead of with:

(How the detective missed that so many times, remains a mystery. He’s on desk duty pending an investigation into his competency.)

Also Liked

mikecargal

mikecargal

I am enjoying the book. I wasn’t really expecting anyone to find my typo for me. (In hindsight, probably biggest “surprise” was that the mistake was something I got wrong so far back and didn’t bit me until this part.

And, based on your endorsement, the detective is back “on the beat”

mikecargal

mikecargal

Here’s a probably hint if anyone is interesting in tossing me a hint.

I went ahead with the code to override the update(_ currentTime: TimeInterval) method, and I do indeed see the level going wild, but I’m not bombarded with gloop drops. (I’m pretty sure that points to what I missed before, but I need to call it a day)

If I find it tomorrow, I’ll update.

Paradox927

Paradox927

Author and Editor at PragProg

Hey, Mike.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Usually, I’m a lot faster at responding to these posts, but this week has proven to be quite the challenge. It seems time was not on my side. :roll_eyes:

On the plus side, it looks like you got everything working—and, for what it’s worth, I think you should keep that detective on the payroll. Everyone deserves a second chance. :blush: :grimacing:

Have a great weekend. Hope you’re enjoying the book.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

iPaul
page 37 ANTLRInputStream input = new ANTLRInputStream(is); as of ANTLR 4 .8 should be: CharStream stream = CharStreams.fromStream(i...
New
Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
brunogirin
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get: pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7 ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
creminology
Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their ...
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
rainforest
Hi, I’ve got a question about the implementation of PubSub when using a Phoenix.Socket.Transport behaviour rather than channels. Before ...
New
a.zampa
@mfazio23 I’m following the indications of the book and arriver ad chapter 10, but the app cannot be compiled due to an error in the Bas...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New

Sub Categories: