Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

What is the average profile of an Elixir's developer?

Background

On a recent discussion with my team, someone brought up the fact we should probably not rely too much on Hex.pm because some of the packages there might be created by people who know very little about programming and that this is a viable attack vector. This person was making a clear comparison of Hex.pm to NPM.

As we know, basically every week we get notifications from Github’s bot telling us some security issue was found in some JS library some project uses.

NPM has, over the time, become quite infamous regarding the quality of its content:

My counter-argument to this was that, in general, Elixir developers have more experience than JS developers. As an example I mentioned the team behind Phoenix and Ecto, where many of people working there have previous working experience in Ruby. Similarly, a considerable portion of the Elixir community came from Ruby.

However, even though I believe this to be the common profile for someone doing Elixir these days (after several talks I had with members of the community) I lack real data to make a point.

I also understand that I cannot generalize the opinions of a select few individuals from this forum and apply them to the whole of the community.

So basically my argument is quite poor. I argue that:

Elixir developers are usually people with more experience than JS people, and most of Elixir developers come from other languages, like Ruby. For this reason we should not worry that a toddler writing a package for NPM is going to do the same for Hex, because the developer’s profile for Elixir is quite different, and by default more experienced.

My idea of Elixir’s developer profile needs a citation.

Research

While I was able to find an SO survey where Elixir developers are overall better payed than other developers:

I could not find a direct link that says: “Better salary means you also have more professional experience”.
For this reason I cannot support my claim either.

Question

  • Are there any studies or articles that have a view on what is the average developer profile of an Elixir developer (regarding years of experience) ?
  • Do you think it is fair to compare NPM with Hex, alongside with its issues? (do they suffer from the same ?)

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

I’ll just link to my reply on EF :003:

But the whole thread is worth a read :023:

jaeyson

jaeyson

There’s a podcast, cant remember which is it maybe elixirnewbie or another, where a survery is skewed or to say it bluntly it’s the senior roles that make up for that large sum of paycheck that’s why you see bigger averages. cant remember which episode.

So far im happy that i’ve convinced my employer to transition to these stack, slowly but surely. Also i wish i could be in that ballpark figure of a junior dev in sea region.

peterchancc

peterchancc

I also have been trying to convince my team if we can start learning Elixir and Phoenix, and maybe build our new projects on this stack. Hopefully within the year…

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
AstonJ
Looking at @siddhant3030’s photo from the Do you blog? thread, do you cover your computer or phone camera as a security precaution? Wha...
New
AstonJ
Just been adding some more portals, currently have the following languages: Apache Groovy C C# C++ Clojure CoffeeScript Crystal ...
New
AstonJ
Great paper by Igor Kopestenski on Erlang and GRiSP: Erlang as an Enabling Technology for Resilient General-Purpose Applications on Edge ...
New
mafinar
I always start with excitement and then get busy on 9/10th day. This year, like the year before this, and the year before that, I intend ...
New
AstonJ
00:00 The Year 2022 00:38 Web3 03:28 Metaverse 05:05 AI 06:22 Databases 07:31 JavaScript 09:58 Other Trends to Know WDYT - what wi...
New
Exadra37
My brother got a VPS on https://contabo.com hosting provider, but I was not aware of them, and when my brother told me the price and spec...
New
Maartz
Hey, I love Regex, letting my kids slaming the keyboard until finding the good regex to do the job has always been a source of joy and p...
New
DevotionGeo
I am planning to refresh my Ruby knowledge in a month or two, after using other technologies more frequently for a few years. Luckily I w...
New
DevotionGeo
Amazon CodeWhisperer is an alternative to GitHub Copilot, and it’s free!
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New