finner

finner

Paper or Pixels?

One of my 2021 resolutions is to read more tech books. As part of this effort I purchased two MEAPs (Manning Early Access Program) which will include the final printed version when completed.

For now, I’m reading the digital versions as the books are being written. But reading the digital format does not have the same effect for me. Somehow I feel further away from the content than with a printed page in front of me.

But that’s just me. I’m old school and I like to have the printed page in front of me. I can scribble on it, draw unicorns, underline big words, turn the page, bookmark every single page, use post-its, put the book on my book shelf behind me so that everyone can see it in zoom, hug the book or burn it.

Yep, I like the printed page.

So, which format do you prefer?

Paper or Pixels

Most Liked

iPaul

iPaul

I’ve always preferred paper books, but it is convenient to also have your library in ebook form for when you want to do a quick search.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Great topic Finner!

I love eBooks for a number of reasons, the most important for me are:

  • If you buy a book in beta, you will be getting up-to-the minute info and be able to access the book at every step of the way until the final release (and even then before the book goes in print)
  • You will usually continue to get updates even after the print version is released
  • If you have a Kindle or e-ink device, you can read it almost anywhere, and the experience is generally very good

Having said that, I recently purchased Programming Erlang as a print book and that was mainly because it was written by Joe Armstrong (one of the fathers of Erlang, who is unfortunately no long with us :cry:) and so it felt like there would be a little bit him here with me, however I’ve really enjoyed having a print book because it’s easier to highlight things - I usually write notes when reading a book but this hasn’t been needed with this book as I can simply go through the book again and just look through my highlights.

Here’s an example of one such highlight:

Going forward, I will probably continue to buy eBooks, not only are they better for the environment but I love all the benefits they have to offer (plus they are cheaper, and when you buy a lot of books like I do that can add up!)

Jsdr3398

Jsdr3398

I like physical books more because you don’t have to look at a screen, it has a more authentic feel. If it were an ebook I’d probably skim through it more than actually read.
I also don’t like looking at a screen too much. I do it anyways, but I feel like such a bad person when I use my phone for too long :sweat_smile:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

justinjunodev
Figured this would be a cool topic and maybe provide some inspiration for those who are just starting to work from home. Feel free to sha...
New
AstonJ
Always interested in seeing what apps people use and how they organise their phones/home screens! Here’s mine…
New
Exadra37
Have you ever wanted to build something but you had no idea what to do? Just as authors sometimes have “writers block” it’s also true for...
New
AstonJ
Curious to know which languages and frameworks you’re all thinking about learning next :upside_down_face: Perhaps if there’s enough peop...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
AstonJ
Just listened to @rvirding’s interview here and he mentions #lua (and Luerl) - just wondered if anyone’s used Lua and what you think of it?
New
OvermindDL1
Maybe we need a thread of hosting providers we like and for what reasons. I personally like OVH, they are a very low level host (they re...
New
ivanhercaz
Hi! I usually keep changelogs for my projects because I think they are really useful, not only to track the changes and not to be lost b...
New
harwind
I’m working on a C++ program where I need to convert a string containing a numeric value into an integer. I want to ensure that this conv...
New
harwind
I’m working on a Spring Boot project and I have a controller where I want to map multiple request paths to a single method. Let’s say I h...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New