OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

What shells do you use and how do you have it configured?

What shell(s) do you use, why do you use them, and how do you have them configured?

Note, this is about shell’s, not terminals, terminal’s are often what is used to access a shell, but it isn’t the shell.

Some popular and/or modern shells for example are like:

  • sh
  • dash
  • ksh
  • bash
  • zsh
  • fish
  • powershell
  • nushell

among many many others…

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I use zsh primarily, but I’ve been using nushell for various tasks lately.

My ZSH is heavily configured, based on the OhMyZSH plugin pack but with some customizations. I use the starship theme (not the built in one, but the standalone StarShip powerline prompt that works with almost any shell).

Been experimenting with nushell lately, it’s still new and missing some functionality, plus not being a posix shell means its syntax is different, but it seems extremely capable and very fast, plus it’s data operations and piping capabilities and operations (it’s main big thing) is really nice!

Cellane

Cellane

Been using the Fish shell for quite a few years now in conjunction with Tmux – I always feel uneasy on a new machine/server until I copy over the configuration I’m used to :sweat_smile: This is how my shell looks like:

ohm

ohm

I’ve been using fish with Starship since I got my new MacBook. It works really well. I was using zsh and fish on and off before that.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
A thread that every forum needs! Simply post a link to a track on YouTube (or SoundCloud or Vimeo amongst others!) on a separate line an...
New
KyleHunter
What is a good language for beginners to make apps like snapchat and instagram?
New
AstonJ
In your opinion which programming languages are simple to use and easy to get started wither those who don’t have a computer science bac...
New
chasekaylee
Hi everyone! I have been in the professional industry for ~2 years now coming from a boot camp. I started a base foundation by programmin...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
AstonJ
Thought it might be worth having a dedicated thread for standing desk treadmills (for those interested, here’s our general thread on stan...
New
AstonJ
Great paper by Igor Kopestenski on Erlang and GRiSP: Erlang as an Enabling Technology for Resilient General-Purpose Applications on Edge ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been watching Prag Dave’s Elixir course and I noticed he uses tree: Tree is a recursive directory listing program that produces a ...
New
Exadra37
My brother got a VPS on https://contabo.com hosting provider, but I was not aware of them, and when my brother told me the price and spec...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
New
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New