AstonJ

AstonJ

What are the 'best' apps around right now?

Which apps do you think are killing it right now?

Either from a technical perspective or ones that you like personally or feel have been extremely successful.

Doesn’t have to be ‘just’ an app - it can be a business centred around one too (eg, Uber).

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

These are my personal favourites…

TikTok! :laughing:

It has to be one of the most addictive apps I have ever used - it’s so addictive that I actually delete it every now and again to stop me going on it!! There’s just so much on there that makes me LOL, and I love that you almost never see any ‘hate’ on it. It’s also incredibly diverse - people from all different races, sexualities etc. Shame on some of the more Western apps really, that it’s taken a Chinese app to spearhead equality in the way that TikTok does.

SnapChat :smiley:

I love snapchat because it’s so personal - you can post things and not worry about them hanging around the web forever (in case you haven’t used it, photos you put up on your stay up for just 24 hours, and if you send anyone a direct message photo, you can change the time it displays from 1 to 10 seconds (or infinity) and if anyone screen grabs them you get notified - tho there are ways around it so don’t count on that). I don’t use it as much these days tho as I feel guilty for not being able to view everyone’s stories.

Tinder :joy:

It’s incredibly well made - the UX is good, intuitive and fast. Although the chances of me meeting people off it are very slim, I like swiping and seeing the match count go up. Not sure if they ever intended it to be, but it’s a bit like a game! I also think the app has probably helped a lot people feel better about themselves as I’m sure people are pleasantly surprised by the number of matches they get. It is addictive tho, and I keep saying to myself that when I get to X matches I will delete it (but then I keeping changing the number!)

Most used…

All of the above feature in my top 5 most used apps according to screen time, but so do the Music app and Messages app.

I’ll add some thoughts on apps I think are good (regardless of whether I use them myself or a lot) another time. Curious to hear everyone else’s favourite apps!

DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

Following are my favorites;

  • Netflix
    I use the web app, because I primarily use Linux (Ubuntu) and they don’t have an official app for Linux.

  • YouTube
    Often the web app on my computer, rarely the android app.

  • Whatsapp

  • Twitter

  • Facebook Messenger
    Now used rarely.

  • Uber

  • Careem
    It was a competitor to Uber until recently. In 2019 Uber acquired Careem for 3.1 billion USD.

  • Basecamp
    In November 2019 Jason Fried tweeted that they launched a free version of Basecamp called Basecamp Personal. Since then I use Basecamp Personal almost always.

  • Pomicro
    My favorite pomodoro app.

  • 7 Minutes Workout (Johnson & Johnson)
    I often open 7 Minutes workout app when I have the long break of a pomodoro cycle.

  • Learning.Oreilly (Safari Books)
    Oreilly (Safari Books) offers books and video tutorials/training from Oreilly, Manning, Pragmatic Bookshlef, A List Apart, Smashing, Packt and many others. It also offers online classes by experts.

  • FaceApp
    It’s my favorite photo transformation app. I (only) transform photos of my friends and family and see how they’d look like when they’re old, but I never publish those photos. :slight_smile:
    I also transform photos of celebrities and see how Faceapp guessed they’d age and how much or how well they really aged.

Besides these, I also use Gboard, Google Drive, Google Maps, Google Photos, Google Translate, Google Calendar, Google Chrome, Google Play Music, Google Play Books, Samsung Voice Recorder (for high quality sound recording), Samsung Radio.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Anybody have any other app recommendations?

A few others I use fairly often are:

BBC News App - check this everyday
BBC Weather App - mostly check this in the summer
Rightmove(.co.uk app) - I like to keep an eye on the property market
Notes - A great way to work on something and sync it between your Mac and iOS devices
Apple Remote - control your iTunes (Apple Music) app on your Mac via your phone
Amazon - I like how it syncs things in basket
iMessage - like how I can use on my Mac as well
Whatsapp - for when people don’t have iMessage

Actually wonder if we should have a thread showing our home-screens :nerd_face:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
A thread that every forum needs! Simply post a link to a track on YouTube (or SoundCloud or Vimeo amongst others!) on a separate line an...
New
AstonJ
I just watched this: (tldr: remove bad choices so you don’t need to use willpower) It got me thinking about ways to incre...
New
wolf4earth
Inspired by this thread about arcade games - which I initially misread as favorite arcade game soundtracks - I wanted to ask about your f...
New
AstonJ
Which apps do you think are killing it right now? Either from a technical perspective or ones that you like personally or feel have been...
New
AstonJ
Always interested in seeing what apps people use and how they organise their phones/home screens! Here’s mine…
New
AstonJ
The dev world doesn’t sit still, in fact it is probably one of the fastest paced industries around - meaning to stay current we are conti...
New
AstonJ
Maybe a specific language or framework? Or a book or tool perhaps? What’s made your life easier and what do you think could make the live...
New
Exadra37
Kubernetes is everywhere. Transactional apps, video streaming services and machine learning workloads are finding a home on this ever-gro...
New
DevotionGeo
Amazon CodeWhisperer is an alternative to GitHub Copilot, and it’s free!
New
ivanhercaz
Hi! I usually keep changelogs for my projects because I think they are really useful, not only to track the changes and not to be lost b...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New