AstonJ

AstonJ

How to be a more productive developer?

I just watched this:

(tldr: remove bad choices so you don’t need to use willpower)

It got me thinking about ways to increase productivity. How do you ensure you remain productive?

Most Liked

Ted

Ted

I try to hide my email inbox for designated chunks of time so I don’t get distracted, because sometimes I’m too eager to help my colleagues for my own good. :rocket: (Their stuff usually ends up less urgent than I assume.)

Also, when starting a new task, I try to review what I need to know and then take a short walk, preferably outside. Sometimes, while carrying the task lightly in my mind, better approaches present themselves. There have even been rare occasions when I have realized the task didn’t need to be done at all. :zen:

jimschubert

jimschubert

OpenAPI Tools Core Team

Learn hotkeys in your favorite IDE. Using built-in hotkeys in IntelliJ and mapping keys for macro start/stop recording really improves my life.

asgartech

asgartech

Who needs willpower when you’re a US citizen with less than six months salary saved (aside from retirement accounts that you dare not touch because of tax penalties) and thus live in terror of poverty?

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Which screen resolutions do you frequently use? Note: not the resolution the display is capable of mind, but the resolution you’re using...
New
AstonJ
What do you think needs fixing in the digital / computer science sphere?
New
chasekaylee
Hi everyone! I have been in the professional industry for ~2 years now coming from a boot camp. I started a base foundation by programmin...
New
chasekaylee
Just like the title says :smiley: which courses you find that have had the most impact in the span of your career as a developer?
New
AstonJ
Always interested in seeing what apps people use and how they organise their phones/home screens! Here’s mine…
New
AstonJ
Hi everyone… I’m so sorry about the delay in getting this thread up, I’ve just been so busy :see_no_evil: Are there any book clubs you’d...
New
Exadra37
A modern streaming platform for mission critical workloads Redpanda is a Kafka® compatible event streaming platform. No Zookeeper®, no JV...
New
New
New
AstonJ
Thought this would be a nice way to start the year - have you seen or written a function (or method) or piece of code that you are partic...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New