AstonJ

AstonJ

Lua - what do you think of it?

Just listened to @rvirding’s interview here and he mentions #lua (and Luerl) - just wondered if anyone’s used Lua and what you think of it?

Most Liked

rvirding

rvirding

Creator of Erlang

I think Lua is a fun language. They have managed to make it both powerful and simple, except for some shady bits, which is impressive. It is a bit too lenient scripting language, and of course it has mutable and shared and global data which is bad. :wink: :smile:

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I am mostly hearing about Lua as a way to embed scripting in your bigger engine / project but I am skeptical about it due to what @rvirding mentioned: global shared mutable data.

Stuff like LuaJIT however is very impressive. A seriously fast scripting language.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I’ve used lots of lua, including luerl heavily whitelisted to handle specific runtime configurable processing tasks back in my erlang days. I’ve implemented the official lua as a scripting language a number of times, luajit as well, which is actually amazingly designed though a bit of hell to sandbox it well (you basically have to map all your calls then overwrite the mapping functions just to start with…). As for ‘using’ it, not much of that in comparison, I actually really hate the language itself for a large variety of reasons, lol, but it does make for a fast and low overhead scripting language.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
If you’re a fan, why? If you’re not fussed on it, how comes?
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this tweet by @dasdom Even if you take out all the damage being done by humans, our planet has about 50B years before bein...
New
New
Exadra37
I am a Linux user since 2012, more or less, and I always use Ubuntu on my computers, and my last 2 laptops have been used Thinkpads, wher...
New
AstonJ
Just wondering whether you have a preference (I know I do!) poll
New
jaeyson
Not trying to add more mess here but, reddit has ELI5 but i wanted to know if it’s okay to ask Elixir-specific (or outside of it) in a si...
New
New
AstonJ
Chris Seaton, the creator of TruffleRuby has died. It appears from suicide :cry: He left this note on Twitter on the weekend: And one...
New
New
AstonJ
Thought this would be a nice way to start the year - have you seen or written a function (or method) or piece of code that you are partic...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New