Exadra37

Exadra37

A Case for Databases on Kubernetes from a Former Skeptic - The New Stack

Kubernetes is everywhere. Transactional apps, video streaming services and machine learning workloads are finding a home on this ever-growing platform. But what about databases? If you had asked me this question five years ago, the answer would have been a resounding “No!” — based on my experience in development and operations. In the following years, as more resources emerged for stateful applications, my answer would have changed to “Maybe,” but always with a qualifier: “It’s fine for development or test environments…” or “If the rest of your tooling is Kubernetes-based, and you have extensive experience…”

But how about today? Should you run a database on Kubernetes? With complex operations and the requirements of persistent, consistent data, let’s retrace the stages in the journey to my current answer: “In a cloud native environment? Yes!”

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

“Kubernetes is everywhere” is a very bad way of starting an article because it’s not a factual statement.

Started reading but the “former skeptic” thing is not visible to me. I’m seeing masked fanboyism only, so far at least.

Exadra37

Exadra37

I understand that it may be not the best way of starting the article, but if you are developer inside the cloud native bubble it will make all the sense when reading it.

Maybe if it had been complemented with something in the likes of In a cloud native world Kubernetes is everywhere then readers that are not deep inside the cloud native bubble would not feel it as an overstatement.

He explains why he is a former skeptic, you just need to read the article. He does it in the introduction and later here:

My hopes of running a database on Kubernetes came roaring back. Could Cassandra deal with the ephemeral nature of containers? At the time, it felt like a begrudging “I guess?“. It seemed possible, but there were significant gaps in the tooling. To take this to production, I’d need a team of Kubernetes and Cassandra veterans, plus a suite of tooling and runbooks to fill in the operational gaps.

The author is on the K8ssandra project, its a MVP for the Cassandra community and works at DataStax, therefore I understand that he is so enthusiastic about what he is talking about, after all he is a Developer Advocate for Cassandra.

I learned something from the article, but I am a fan of Docker and Kubernetes and I considered to be a DevOps before I came into API security, therefore I have a little of the cloud native bubble inside me :slight_smile:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I’ve still yet to ever touch kubernates other than articles saying how horrible it was to build a fake type system in it to work around Golang’s limitations. I’m still not entirely sure what it does, something like docker swarm but more, or… Lol, I just need to look in to it someday.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
wolf4earth
Inspired by this thread about arcade games - which I initially misread as favorite arcade game soundtracks - I wanted to ask about your f...
New
AstonJ
Looking at @siddhant3030’s photo from the Do you blog? thread, do you cover your computer or phone camera as a security precaution? Wha...
New
AstonJ
Thought it might be worth having a dedicated thread for standing desk treadmills (for those interested, here’s our general thread on stan...
New
Rainer
Not sure if following fits exactly this thread, or if we should have a hobby thread… For many years I’m designing and building model air...
New
AstonJ
Just listened to @rvirding’s interview here and he mentions #lua (and Luerl) - just wondered if anyone’s used Lua and what you think of it?
New
malloryerik
With 100% less blockchain. I went searching for a lightweight immutable database that could be audited and ran into this. I guess this ...
New
New
AntonRich
I don’t know what happened today. But I just started reading SICP which I meant to do for a long time. The book itself: I’m not even s...
New
Margaret
Hello DevTalk Community! Once again, The Pragmatic Programmers are looking for developers who’d like to help shape the future of our boo...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New