DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

We need more books on how to read code

Few days ago I watched Felienne Hermans’ video at Manning titled How to read confusing code. She was pointing out that new developers are taught how to write code, but not how to read code. I didn’t yet read her book The Programmer’s Brain, but I can say that will be a great book to read.

Today I saw a book from Manning titled How to Read Java. This is a very good new trend and I would love to see books for many computer languages titled How to read XYZ.

Most Liked

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

It looks like a nice subject.

My future self might enjoy if I read it :slight_smile:

adamaiken89

adamaiken89

Sometime I hope there will be a more systematic way to learn the technical subjects, like Oracle Certified Associate or AWS Cloud Practitioner.

Recently I found OpenJS Certification, but I have not checked the content.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

That would be an extremely long book and it will likely end with the sentence: “That’s why we all should code in only one language”. :smiley:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Rainer
Have you seen the new features that will be available in the upcoming C# 9 release? C# is taking a lot of input from functional l...
New
AstonJ
I just watched this: (tldr: remove bad choices so you don’t need to use willpower) It got me thinking about ways to incre...
New
AstonJ
If so, what was the last blog post you wrote… and if not, why not?
New
chasekaylee
Hi everyone! I have been in the professional industry for ~2 years now coming from a boot camp. I started a base foundation by programmin...
New
jaywengrow
Hello! It’s Jay Wengrow, author of A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms. My book now has a supplemental website, where ...
New
DevotionGeo
As the title suggests, this thread will contain some real wisdom came from experience. Please add something meaningful than fancy looking...
New
Rainer
Not sure if following fits exactly this thread, or if we should have a hobby thread… For many years I’m designing and building model air...
New
dwaynebradley
For those that are interested, Snyk (developer security tool) announced support for Elixir earlier this week: Just thought I’d pass it...
New
AstonJ
Just listened to @rvirding’s interview here and he mentions #lua (and Luerl) - just wondered if anyone’s used Lua and what you think of it?
New
AstonJ
Chris Seaton, the creator of TruffleRuby has died. It appears from suicide :cry: He left this note on Twitter on the weekend: And one...
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New