DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

How to install multiple Java versions?

The version of Java installed with Android Studio on my Mac is the following (when I run java -version)

openjdk version "1.8.0_242-release"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_242-release-1644-b3-6915495)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.242-b3-6915495, mixed mode)

An hour later I’m taking an online class and one of the prerequisites is OpenJDK 11.
How do I install both of the versions side by side on my Mac if I don’t have ASDF.

Most Liked

finner

finner

hi @DevotionGeo - I now use sdkman to switch through my Java versions.
Here is the usage page.
On a mac the java sdks will be installed :

/Users/<you>/.sdkman/candidates/java/

In my case I have the following

/Users/<user>/.sdkman/candidates/java/11.0.2-open
/Users/<user>/.sdkman/candidates/java/12.0.2.j9-adpt
/Users/<user>/.sdkman/candidates/java/15.0.2.j9-adpt
current -> /Users/<user>/.sdkman/candidates/java/11.0.2-open

current is a symbolic link which points to the version you are currently using, so from inside an IDE you would have to point to the real folder.

Not sure of that helps you at this stage.

finner

finner

hi @DevotionGeo - I’ve never even heard of asdf before :blush:
From what I can see about asdf it manages multiple languages, if you are constantly switching between languages and then versions within those languages then maybe asdf will work well for you. But as I’ve said, I have never used it.
If you do decide to use it let me know what you think.

ohm

ohm

I’ve previously used jenv for handling multiple versions of Java (for use with JRuby), but if you’re already using asdf I think you should just continue with that and not introduce yet another new tools.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Jase
Do they publish their stacks or is it mostly a case of guesswork? Twitter facebook instagram snapchat tiktok google et all. Used to be we...
New
AstonJ
Stopwords are words that you normally filter for things like search queries, such as ‘as’, ‘because’ etc - there are a few online, but I ...
New
sona11
How can I apply a modified date and time to a variable? This is what I get when I execute the following query in SQL Server Mgmt Studio: ...
New
harwind
Consider the following bits of code: void foo(const int i) // First foo { std::cout &lt;&lt; "First " &lt;&lt; i &lt;&lt; endl; } vo...
New
thetoaderseventytwo
I’ve been trying to dip my feet into using Unity and C# for the sake of developing games, however, I have barely any knowledge of how to ...
New
jaeyson
Is Rust still good to learn? Last time (ages ago) I heard there was changes made by the foundation. If not, is Go suitable for api and w...
New
GTX
Hello everyone! I am not a developer, just wanna know if it’s possible for someone with no skills to learn how to reverse hack my hackers.
New
dPhong31415
Hey everyone :waving_hand: I’ve just recently discovered Elixir, and honestly—it’s been mind-blowing so far (coming from a React backgro...
New
KnowledgeIsPower
Trivy was attacked for twice recently. CheckMarx and Telnyx was attacked too. Looks like the attack is not slowing down.
New
johnnaa
I’ve been researching monitor arms for the past few days because I want to improve my desk setup and make better use of my workspace. Aft...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New