finner

finner

My travels with Modern Java in Action

As one of my New Year resolutions is to read more tech I’ve decided on an attempt to document my travels in Mannings Modern Java in Action

I have just started and currently reading the introductory sections which are generic. The book will take me through whats new in Java 8, 9, 10 & 11 with some of the main topics being lambdas, streams, functional & reactive programming.

Java release timeline relevant to the book.

  • Java 5 2004
  • Java 8 2014
  • Java 9 2017
  • Java 10 2018 (March)
  • Java 11 2018 (September)

As you can see, Java was slow to evolve between Java 5 and 8, a whole 10 years slow. So I guess I got lazy.
Java 8 is the first version of Java with functional programming capabilities.
As of today Java is almost at version 16. Oracle have been on a 6 month release cycle since Java 9. This means the Java community will have to keep up with the pace. This may also inject life back into the old language.

I have high expectations for this book and it has been given positive reviews. There is a lot of material.
With 2 years working experience already in Java 8 I should have a solid foundation to follow what this book will cover. I am hoping to fill in gaps and maybe deep dive in some areas.

So, let’s see how it goes.

Most Liked

finner

finner

Slap bang in the middle of Chapter 5 already which talks about the Stream API and lovin’ it …
… but I’m getting ahead of myself.

The big change for long time Java programmers is the jump to Java 8. Quite literally it is the ability switch from coding in OO to coding in FP. When written well, Java8 code looks quite different to its previous versions.
Here is a very simple example.

Pre Java 8

Using a for loop to iterate a list of String objects.
This is known as external iteration.

public String findWordInList(String wordToFind, List<String> words) {
   for (String word: words) {
       if (word.equals(wordToFind)) {
          return word; 
       }
   }
   return "";
}

Java 8

The same as above but using filter() & findFirst() from the StreamAPI and a lambda predicate. This is known as internal iteration.

public String findWordInList(String word, List<String>) {
   return words.stream()
      .filter(w -> w.equals(wordToFind))
      .findFirst()
      .orElse("");
}

The advantage of internal iteration is that the Stream library can choose a data representation and implementation of parallelism.

To use parallelism you just need to rewrite your code as follows:

public String findWordInList(String word, List<String>) {
   return words.parallelStream()
      .filter(w -> w.equals(wordToFind))
      .findFirst()
      .orElse("");
}

When I see a for statement in code at work these days I experience something akin to being asked to believe that Harry Potter is 14 years old in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.

to be continued …

finner

finner

Totally agree @iPaul , there has to be general consensus between the developers in which style to adopt. What I am seeing at the moment where I work is the heavy use of the Stream API when working with collections. This gives the developer an API similar to FP patterns, such as map, flatMap, filter & reduce. This feels like a natural step towards a functional style without diving in at the deep end.
In my case, the project has 4 teams, 3 of which are external vendors and it is our team who are behind the curve and struggling with the new concepts. Adapting to the other teams code styles has been a struggle for us but already, for me at least, it has helped me a great deal. You have to swallow your pride when you do not know what you do not know.
So coming back to your point, we are actually the alienated team. We are still trying to catch up but at least now I know what I want my code to look like when I grow up :smiley:

But just to clarify, Java 8 is still fundamentally an OO language with some FP features. We are still writing and thinking in OO. But I am hoping with all these new features and practice I will be able to revisit FP languages like Clojure or Scala with more confidence and a deeper appreciation for the mindset.
One must be able to dream …

AstonJ

AstonJ

Nice one Finner!

I am sure your journal is going to provide interesting for a lot of people and I look forward to seeing your updates :nerd_face:

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
Tommy
So I have enough money to last a year. Realistically I’m still going to have to work part time painting. I’m so done with it though! I h...
New
mafinar
Crystal recently reached version 1. I had been following it for awhile but never got to really learn it. Most languages I picked up out o...
New
Maartz
The very first time I’ve seen a line of Elixir I was in awe. Coming from Ruby the syntax was familiar. But I wanted to know what was thi...
New
mafinar
TL;DR I am reading “Domain Modeling Made Functional” and discussing and keeping a journal of what I learned from it, any co-readers welco...
New
TwistingTwists
This is my Journal for readings on Designing Elixir Systems with OTP. Will post chapter 01 tomorrow! Stay tuned!
New
rgerardi
Hello all. Creating this space here for general discussion and chat about Powerful Command-Line Applications In Go In particular, we ca...
New
AstonJ
With AI set to play a big role in our industry Elixir users are lucky to have Nx, so we’re running our Nx related book club on Genetic Al...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
When the pandemic, heart disease, and personal tragedy threatened to steal everything the Tates spent years building, they found hope, he...
New
alvinkatojr
https://fs.blog/mental-models/ I’ve been reading Farnham Street for a while, and this topic is the recommended starting point for new re...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New