TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists

Journal : Programming Phoenix LiveView

I have read first chapter. Will add my notes / code tries / self exploration as I go along!

Thank you @AstonJ for encouraging to start it.
I hope I’ll be able to finish the book in a couple of months.

Stay tuned!

Most Liked

TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists

Chapter 01 :

CONCEPTS / RE-Thinks

  • SPA is a distributed system !
  • SPAs have shared states.

How Elixir changes SPA?

  1. Phoenix Channels = using BEAM for long lived HTTP connections! (as opposed to stateless) - using socket.assigns

    • think of channels as joining channels on slack.
  2. sockets function as routers where channel routes are defined. (auto generated by Phoenix)

  3. Phoenix.PubSub.PG2 - using BEAM native message passing to broadcaste and coordinate updates – where the complexity adds up in SPA !

    • Leveraging the best of the Erlang VM.
  4. Client for requesting data to SPA CAN BE anyone - watch, app, website, IoT !

  • Anyone who subscribes to a channel → topic:subtopic is a client.
  1. Standard (read : best practices) infrastructure to deal with auth.
  2. Buggy network connections => Phoenix uses ETS-tables (BEAM’s strength) to ensure fault tolerance!

Source : from Chapter 01 + Channels — Phoenix v1.5.12.

Happy Reading!

AstonJ

AstonJ

Nice one TT! I am sure a lot of people are going to be interested in following your journal! :023:

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
Tommy
So I have enough money to last a year. Realistically I’m still going to have to work part time painting. I’m so done with it though! I h...
New
mafinar
I am going to dump my thoughts, methods, codes, experiences and rants while learning OCaml into this thread. This is probably the 5th or...
New
rustkas
To be a more productive reader when rereading a book, it is very convenient to create small rebar3 projects based on books’ samples and i...
New
Maartz
The very first time I’ve seen a line of Elixir I was in awe. Coming from Ruby the syntax was familiar. But I wanted to know what was thi...
New
RomanTurner
Agile Web Development with Rails 6 Chapter 11. Task F Currently reading and working through AWDR6 by Sam Ruby, David Bryant Copeland, a...
New
AstonJ
With Phoenix and LiveView having recently had a fairly major release, and Programming Phoenix LiveView being updated too, we thought it w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
When the pandemic, heart disease, and personal tragedy threatened to steal everything the Tates spent years building, they found hope, he...
New
TomMahon
How did a sleepy valley become the epicenter of the technological world as we know it? In the 40th Anniversary Edition of my book, “Charg...
New
alvinkatojr
https://fs.blog/mental-models/ I’ve been reading Farnham Street for a while, and this topic is the recommended starting point for new re...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New