bradleyscollins

bradleyscollins

Powerful Command-Line Applications in Go: blackfriday Library Not Working? (pp. 50, 52)

@rgerardi

Problem

As I am working my way through the book today in August of 2024, it appears that blackfriday (v2.1.0) no longer works. In particular, even configuring it explicitly with the common set of extensions, it does not produce an HTML list from either a bulleted or numbered markdown list.

Case in point, given the content of test1.md (p. 52):

# Test Markdown File

Just a test

## Bullets:

* Links [Link1](https://example.com)

## Code Block

```
some code
```

… it renders the Bullets section of the markdown this way:

<h2>Bullets:
</h2>

<p>
* Links <a href="https://example.com" rel="nofollow">Link1</a>

</p>

… when it should be something more like this:

<h2>Bullets:
</h2>

<ol>
<li>Links <a href="https://example.com" rel="nofollow">Link1</a></li>
</ol>

Solution

I have replaced blackfriday with markdown (v0.0.0-20240730141124-034f12af3bf6 as of this writing), and it is working like a charm. It requires just a one-line change to the parseContent function (p. 50):

# output := blackfriday.Run(input) # replace with the line below
output := markdown.ToHTML(input, nil, nil)

It produces the expected output:

<h2>Bullets:</h2>

<ul>
<li>Links <a href="https://example.com" rel="nofollow">Link1</a></li>
</ul>

First Post!

LeamHall

LeamHall

Hey @bradleyscollins ! I just did this run this morning and blackfriday worked find for me. The “links” was marked up nicely.

Here’s the line from my go.mod file, if it helps diagnose the issue:

http://github.com/russross/blackfriday/v2  //indirect

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
cro
I am working on the “Your Turn” for chapter one and building out the restart button talked about on page 27. It recommends looking into ...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
brunogirin
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get: pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7 ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
adamwoolhether
Is there any place where we can discuss the solutions to some of the exercises? I can figure most of them out, but am having trouble with...
New
jwandekoken
Book: Programming Phoenix LiveView, page 142 (157/378), file lib/pento_web/live/product_live/form_component.ex, in the function below: d...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
SlowburnAZ
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter: could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New

Sub Categories: