pieteeken

pieteeken

Machine Learning in elixir: Some problems with chapter 7 in Version B2.0

@seanmor5

Title: Machine Learning in elixir: Some problems with chapter 7 in Version B2.0

On 3 january 2024 I downloaded the Cats & Dogs file from the Kaggle site. I had to register and to subscribe to a contest to get it. All the images were named as x.jpg with x a number. They had to be renamed first and put in a train directory.

The renaming I did in a Linux terminal with:
For FILENAMe in *; do mv FILENAME cat.$FILENAME; done
For FILENAMe in *; do mv FILENAME dog.$FILENAME; done

Then running the livebook LearningToSee from chapter 7 I got errors at the cell from page 152:
" mlp_trained_model_state =".
1. Expected all shapes to match {x,96,96,3}, but got {x,96,96,4}
2. Could not decode binary of file

So there were some images wich did not match with the shape/channels.
To remove them I wrote the following module:


defmodule CleanCatsDogs do
def pipeline(paths) do
paths
|> Enum.map(fn x → x end)
end

def examine(x) do
{:ok, buffer} = File.read(x)

case StbImage.read_binary(buffer) do
  {:ok, img} ->
    process(img, x)

  {:error, _} ->
    IO.puts("Couldn't decode binary of #{x}")
    File.rm(x)
end

end

def process(img, x) do
{_, _, c} = img.shape

if c != 3 do
  IO.puts("#{c} -- #{x}")
  File.rm(x)
end

end
end


and then executed:


train_path = Path.wildcard(“/home/piet/livebooks/train/*.jpg”)
train_line = CleanCatsDogs.pipeline(train_path)
Enum.map(train_line, fn x → CleanCatsDogs.examine(x) end)


Around 62 files were deleted.
Doing it in livebook is very easy. I’m very happy with this livebook examples.

Furthermore I got the warning at the for last cell “cnn_trained_model_state =”:
Axon.Optimizers.adam/1 is deprecated. Use Polaris.Optimizers.adam/1 instead

Well, simply replacing the name gave errors: FunctionClauseError etc.
I am not experienced enough to get a solution.

By the way: running this cell with 5 epochs on my desktop took me hours. So 100 epochs probably days. I stopped it. Didn’t get to the finish.

First Post!

pieteeken

pieteeken

@seanmor5

Polaris problem solved.
See Hexdocs → Axon.Loop
Should be: Polaris.Optimizers.adam(learning_rate: 1.0e-3)

I lied: executing “improve training” took 2 hours with a non-cuda video card

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

GilWright
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
jamis
The following is cross-posted from the original Ray Tracer Challenge forum, from a post by garfieldnate. I’m cross-posting it so that the...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
gilesdotcodes
In case this helps anyone, I’ve had issues setting up the rails source code. Here were the solutions: In Gemfile, change gem 'rails' t...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
rainforest
Hi, I’ve got a question about the implementation of PubSub when using a Phoenix.Socket.Transport behaviour rather than channels. Before ...
New
jwandekoken
Book: Programming Phoenix LiveView, page 142 (157/378), file lib/pento_web/live/product_live/form_component.ex, in the function below: d...
New
davetron5000
Hello faithful readers! If you have tried to follow along in the book, you are asked to start up the dev environment via dx/build and ar...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New

Sub Categories: