harwind

harwind

Java's for each loop

So, basically, I’m writing a method to check application numbers in my array ‘applications,’ and this method receives a parameter to verify that specific application number and compares it to the application numbers in the list.
So first look at the code:

public boolean hasApplicationNumber(int number) {
    if (number <= 3 ) {
        throw new IllegalArgumentException("bad number");   
    }

    for (ApplicationData current : applications) {
        if (number == current.getApplicationNumber() ) {    
            return true;
        }
    }
    return false;
}  

JUnit test to validate the application number:

public void shouldHaveApplicationNumber1() {
    University westGeorgia = new University("West Georgia");
    ApplicationData student1 = new ApplicationData(9, 7.0, 400);
    westGeorgia.addApplication(student1);
    assertEquals(true, westGeorgia.hasApplicationNumber(1));
}

This JUnit test is failing because my code returns “false” instead of “true.”

However, if I change the return values in my “hasApplicationNumber” method to true (at the very bottom of the method), this test will pass, but another test I have (that doesn’t allow the list to exceed 10) will return “true” when it is supposed to be “false,” causing that test to fail (I didn’t include that test because it is very similar to the one I have already provided — just “1” is changed to “10” and “true”
I’m beginning to suspect that either my test is being ignored by the Java compiler, or my for-each loop is executing correctly and returning “true,” but since I followed this documentation, I have that lingering false at the very end, which may be declaring the item false nonetheless.

I might be overthinking this, but I’m at a loss on how to change the for-each loop in the method I wrote. Any assistance in sorting this out would be much appreciated!

Most Liked

dtonhofer

dtonhofer

This JUnit test is failing because my code returns “false” instead of “true.”

Isn’t the JUnit test failing because the

hasApplicationNumber(1)

throws?

At this point, the easiest way to unconfuse yourself is to add a few print statements into the test code.

System.out.println("After test for throw );

etc.

finner

finner

hi @harwind -
According to the code you have pasted when you pass 1 into the method hasApplicationNumber an IllegalArgumentException will be thrown. So the test should fail.
I’ve also noticed that you are using double in the ApplicationData class but treating them as int in the hasApplicationNumber method.
Here is a stripped down version without the ApplicationData class and using int.

public class DevTalkTest {

    private final int[] numbers = new int[]{9, 7, 400};

    @Test
    public void shouldHaveApplicationNumber1() {
        assertTrue(hasApplicationNumber(1));
    }


    public boolean hasApplicationNumber(int number) {
        if (number <= 3) {
            throw new IllegalArgumentException("bad number");
        }
        for (int num : numbers) {
            if (num == number) return true;
        }
        return false;
    }


}

The tests will fail with the error:

bad number
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: bad number
. . . 
finner

finner

I was going to suggest setting a breakpoint on the last line.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

KyleHunter
What is a good language for beginners to make apps like snapchat and instagram?
New
AstonJ
In your opinion which programming languages are simple to use and easy to get started wither those who don’t have a computer science bac...
New
AstonJ
If so, what was the last blog post you wrote… and if not, why not?
New
chasekaylee
Hi everyone! I have been in the professional industry for ~2 years now coming from a boot camp. I started a base foundation by programmin...
New
chasekaylee
Just like the title says :smiley: which courses you find that have had the most impact in the span of your career as a developer?
New
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
AstonJ
Do we have any digital nomads here? Anyone fancy it? If so, which countries would you consider? I’ve been toying with the idea for a wh...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been watching Prag Dave’s Elixir course and I noticed he uses tree: Tree is a recursive directory listing program that produces a ...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New