AstonJ

AstonJ

What's all the fuss about static-typing?

If you’re a fan, why?

If you’re not fussed on it, how comes?

Most Liked

Qqwy

Qqwy

To put it very concisely, these are I believe the two most important advantages of static typing:

  1. It removes whole class of potential bugs. Essentially all the undefined is not a function-style bugs are impossible in static type-systems. This means easier testing but also that less ‘defensive programming’ is required.
  2. Knowing that something is guaranteed to e.g. always be an integer allows for extra optimizations to happen.
lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

I find this an interesting statement as in my mind Go is a language with a painful lack of inference, types are required everywhere.

Here’s a fully type safe program in Elm:

main =
  let 
    double a = a + a
    twice f a = f (f a)
  in
  { name = ("Louis", "Pilfold")
  , score = twice double 50
  }

And here’s the same program written in Go:

type Name struct{
  First string
  Last  string
}

type Person struct{
  Name  Name
  Score int
}

func Main() Person {
  double := func(a int) int {
    return a + a
  }
  twice := func(f func(int) int, x int) int {
    return f(f(x))
  }
  return Person{
    Name: Name{
      "Louis",
      "Pilfold",
    },
    score: twice(double, 50),
  }
}

The Go version requires many more type annotations, and I would argue that many of them (especially the annotations on anonymous functions) provide no technical benefit at all. If anything they’ll make the code very slightly slower to compile as they need to perform inference inside the compiler to assert that they are correct.

To make matters worse, the Go version isn’t type safe (it lacks null checking and many other features), and it is less flexible (the double function only works with ints).

I like many things about Go, but in my opinion its type system leaves an awful lot to be desired.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

In addition to what @Qqwy said :

  • The sum types – like Option and Result in Rust – allow for, and mandate, exhaustive pattern matching which is missing in e.g. Elixir, and that leads to a lot of code being written exclusively for the happy path.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Rainer
Have you seen the new features that will be available in the upcoming C# 9 release? C# is taking a lot of input from functional l...
New
jss
What do people think about Data-Oriented Programming, like this book tackles? https://www.manning.com/books/data-oriented-programming Ho...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
jaeyson
Not trying to add more mess here but, reddit has ELI5 but i wanted to know if it’s okay to ask Elixir-specific (or outside of it) in a si...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been watching Prag Dave’s Elixir course and I noticed he uses tree: Tree is a recursive directory listing program that produces a ...
New
Maartz
Hey, I love Regex, letting my kids slaming the keyboard until finding the good regex to do the job has always been a source of joy and p...
New
New
harwind
I’m working on a C++ program where I need to convert a string containing a numeric value into an integer. I want to ensure that this conv...
New
Margaret
Hello DevTalk Community! Once again, The Pragmatic Programmers are looking for developers who’d like to help shape the future of our boo...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New