OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Hosting providers - who have you used/liked?

Maybe we need a thread of hosting providers we like and for what reasons. I personally like OVH, they are a very low level host (they rent you hardware of a large variety of ways) and the software you run on it, OS included, is all on you, backing up included (though they rent nice backup hardware too), which is just how I like it. Their support is of course low level hardware stuff but they have been quick for me the like twice I’ve asked them about something in over 10 years (and no big ‘down’ issues at all).

Plus I like that you rent your specs, including bandwidth, if you pay for the low 100mbits connection to the net then that’s what you get, always, no metering or restrictions on ‘amount’ or anything beyond that.

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

I have used quite a few but my favourite has always been dedicated servers (just look at companies that are closest to you/your users and within your budget).

I would love to have my own data-centre as I have often toyed with buying my own servers and co-locating, but cost-wise it’s not that far off just renting dedicated servers. Own data-centre would be awesome.

osbre

osbre

I use Hetzner. I especially like their price/performance ratio and stability (never had a downtime)

DigitalOcean, in comparison, is way more expensive than Hetzner and less reliable

For deployment, managing databases, backups and apps I use self-hosted PaaS dokku.com , which allows me to deploy projects in different languages using Heroku-alike buildpacks (but isn’t limited to that, according to docs)

personal 20$ referral link

Exadra37

Exadra37

In fairness that is not a fair comparison, because all hosting providers can suffer from hardware failure at any moment in time, and this is a fact without any exception.

It’s up to us to have an effective backup system for the servers we run, and one that’s different from the hosting provider.

Even the author of the post acknowledges that:

Think about this for a minute: what are you going to do when one of your servers would disappear right now? I hope you take away from this story that you should always backup your servers. A hardware failure can happen at any given moment. Do not solely rely on backups from your own provider. Take your own backups as well. Use tools like BackupPC, Bacula, or a service like SnapShooter.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

justinjunodev
Figured this would be a cool topic and maybe provide some inspiration for those who are just starting to work from home. Feel free to sha...
New
AstonJ
I just watched this: (tldr: remove bad choices so you don’t need to use willpower) It got me thinking about ways to incre...
New
Exadra37
I am a Linux user since 2012, more or less, and I always use Ubuntu on my computers, and my last 2 laptops have been used Thinkpads, wher...
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this post from @Carter, which languages, frameworks or other tech or tools do you think is killing it right now? :upside_down...
New
finner
One of my 2021 resolutions is to read more tech books. As part of this effort I purchased two MEAPs (Manning Early Access Program) which...
New
Exadra37
Kubernetes is everywhere. Transactional apps, video streaming services and machine learning workloads are finding a home on this ever-gro...
New
chaptuck
I am thinking about getting a fitness tracker of some kind (probably one from Garmin). Have any of you developed your own widgets, watchf...
New
jaeyson
Hi all, does anybody tried Shankar Devy’s Phoenix Inside Out book series? Also, will there be a big difference (aside from context prior...
New
jaeyson
Hi!, hope everyone’s ok. Sorry if this question is ambiguous (i’ll remove this if i break some rules here). This is more like a self-ques...
New
harwind
I’m working on a C++ program where I need to convert a string containing a numeric value into an integer. I want to ensure that this conv...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New