Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Mock is crashing process in umbella project

Background

I have an umbrella project, where I run mix test from the root.
In one of the apps, I am mocking the File module using the Mock library.

Problem

The issue here is that when I run mix test the process dies, with no error message to show:

Manager.Impl.Store.ReaderTest [test/unit/store/reader_test.exs]
  * test list_syndicates/1 returns the list of all known syndicates [L#496]** (EXIT from #PID<0.98.0>) killed

Code

The code of the test is as follows:

defmodule Manager.Impl.Store.ReaderTest do
  use ExUnit.Case, async: false

  alias Manager.Impl.Store.Reader

  import Mock

  setup do
    %{
      file_io: File,
      paths: [syndicates: ["syndicates.json"]]
    }
  end

  describe "lists syndicates" do
    test_with_mock "returns the list of all known syndicates", %{paths: paths} = deps, File, [],
      read: fn _filename -> {:ok, "[\"utc\"]"} end do
      # Act
      actual = Reader.list_syndicates(deps)

      expected = {:ok, [%Syndicate{name: "UTC", id: :utc, catalog: []}]}

      expected_path = Path.join(paths[:syndicates])

      # Assert
      assert actual == expected
      assert_called(File.read(expected_path))
    end
  end
end

In comparison, the follow test (which does not use mock) works just fine:

defmodule Manager.Impl.Store.ReaderTest do
  @moduledoc false

  use ExUnit.Case, async: false

  alias Manager.Impl.Store.Reader

  import Mock

  setup do
    %{
      paths: [syndicates: ["syndicates.json"]]
    }
  end

  describe "list_syndicates/1" do
    defmodule FileMockListSyndicates do
      @moduledoc false

      def read(path) do
        assert path == "syndicates.json"
        {:ok, "[\"utc\"]"}
      end
    end

    setup do
      %{
        file_io: Manager.Impl.Store.ReaderTest.FileMockListSyndicates
      }
    end

    test "returns the list of all known syndicates",
         %{paths: paths} = deps do
      # Act
      actual = FileSystem.list_syndicates(deps)
      expected = {:ok, [%Syndicate{name: "UTC", id: :utc, catalog: []}]}

      # Assert
      assert actual == expected
    end
  end
end

To me this is rather surprising. One alternative crashes the process with no error message, while the other makes everything work.

To me, this indicates one of three problems:

  1. A problem with the library Mock
  2. A problem with my setup of the library
  3. A problem with the test that causes the process to crash

I believe the second and third options to be the most probable, but without any information about the error, I can’t be sure. The process simply dies.

Question

Why is my process dying, and how can I fix it?

Marked As Solved

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Mock depends on :meck, which does swap out the complete module
within the runtime – as in make the VM unload the existing module and
load the module with the mock code. (…) The best improvement to get
would be better errors or disclaimers.

Source: Mock is crashing process in umbella project - #4 by LostKobrakai - Questions / Help - Elixir Programming Language Forum

At the time of this writing, I have tested all major mocking libraries (Mock, Mox and Mimic).
Both Mock and Mimic rely on :meck underneath. Rather surprisingly, I get the exact same issue with Mimic as I got with Mock, i.e., the process crashes without warning.

This leaves me to the only logical conclusion, which is that the problem I am facing is related to the underlying system that servers as a base for both libraries: :meck. This issue does not happen using Mox.

I have therefore decided not to use Mock (nor Mimic) for the application and I am instead injecting the dependencies directly into the functions that need them. This last approach is very lightweight and does allow for async: true which gives a noticeable speed increase when running mix test.

Because I am only using a very small portion of the external system’s API (2 - 3 functions) this fits well with my needs. However, If I were to use all functions from said API (let’s say 20) this solution would be rather difficult to manage.

I don’t expect the affected modules to evolve in such a direction, so for the time being, I am rather happy.

Here is a sample test for those searching for inspiration (using File as an example):

setup do
  %{
    paths: [products: ["products.json"]]
  }
end

test "returns list of available products from given syndicate", %{paths: paths} = deps do
  read_fn = fn filename ->
    assert filename == Path.join(paths[:products])

    {:ok, "[{\"name\": \"utc\"}]"}
  end

  deps = Map.put(deps, :io, %{read: read_fn})
  syndicate = Syndicate.new(name: "UTC", id: :utc)

  assert FileSystem.list_products(syndicate, deps) ==
           {:ok, [Product.new(%{"name" => "Bananas"})]}
end

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

Kurisu
Hello and happy new year! I would like to buy a Ruby On Rails ebook for learning purpose. What would be the ROR equivalent of “Programm...
New
andrea
Can Phoenix LiveView be used in multi-page applications, unlike React/Vue/Blazor which seems to be targeted for SPA?
New
bsek43
Hello everyone, I’ve started learning Elixir and Phoenix few months ago and while I mostly grasped Elixir’s functional concepts and Phoe...
New
JimmyCarterSon
Hello, I am. very new to Elixir lang I have only been doing it for about 2 weeks. I recently started following this tutorial todo list, ...
New
JimmyCarterSon
I am following this tutorial . I have followed carefully correcting errors as I go. The app allows you to create a blog post and add comm...
New
Ora2pgnewbie
Wanted to check if there is a UI available to use Ora2pg tool.
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a personal project that is an elixir desktop application for PC Windows. It works pretty well, but now I want to give i...
New
Sumityadav
Hello all, I am new to learning Java Programming and want to learn java from scratch. I was writing a Java program to get the first and l...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have an umbrella app where I use a dependecy called ETS. This dependency has a type called set_options that I use in some of...
New
yamuna
Hi everyone, I’m trying to run deepseek-coder:6.7b-instruct-q4_K_M in Docker using Ollama to create an LLM that will be used by CrewAI a...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New