patrickdm

patrickdm

Genetic Algorithms in Elixir: Ch4. errata in evolve function (page 59)

At the beginning of page 59, in chapter 4

alter the evolve function to track a generation parameter, like this:

def evolve(problem, generation, opts \\ []) do
  # ...
  if terminate?(population, generation) do
    # ...
  else
    generation = generation + 1
    ...
    |> evolve(population, generation opts)
  end
end

The evolve definition is missing the first param population;
a comma is also missing between the last two params of the evolve call, at the end of the function’s body,

Edit: I guess problem should be in the params of the recursive call to evolve in place of population , and as prefix in the terminate? call.

We have also to include an initial value for generation in run/2’s evolve call, to avoid an>

(ArithmeticError) bad argument in arithmetic expression

due to an uninitialized generation in the + 1 operation. (I’m starting from generation 0)

Corrige:


def run(problem, opts \\ []) do
  population = initialize(&problem.genotype/0, opts)
  first_generation = 0

  population
  |> evolve(problem, first_generation, opts)
end

def evolve(population, problem, generation, opts \\ []) do
  # ...
  if problem.terminate?(population, generation) do
    # ...
  else
    generation = generation + 1
    ...
    |> evolve(problem, generation, opts)
  end
end

(Hope I’m not bothering anyone with this small corrections, I’m really enjoying the book)

Most Liked

seanmor5

seanmor5

Author of Genetic Algorithms in Elixir

Thank you for finding all these things :slight_smile:. I’m glad you’re enjoying the book! I’ll go back and fix this one as well.

patrickdm

patrickdm

It is a pleasure to be helpful, I’m just reading the book, studying the concepts and putting the code at work, so the small glitches in the redaction wake up the little debugger-daemon in me… :bug::smiling_imp: They actually help me to focus and understand the overall logic and goals! Also I know how hard is to spot them when you know every and each word of your book by memory. I’m glad to be of some help, while learning so much!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
leba0495
Hello! Thanks for the great book. I was attempting the Trie (chap 17) exercises and for number 4 the solution provided for the autocorre...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
andreheijstek
After running /bin/setup, the first error was: The foreman' command exists in these Ruby versions: That was easy to fix: gem install fore...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: